Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person.
Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal is seeking a high caliber, experienced and energetic lawyer, with an interest in payments and technology, to join the PayPal commercial legal team. The lawyer will be based in our Omaha or Scottsdale office.
• This position will be responsible for supporting the company’s technology acquisition, marketing, risk and procurement organizations as well as its merchant services and business development business units.
• The position will involve drafting and negotiating complex agreements ranging from professional services, software licenses, development, support and supplier agreements to various customer payment services agreements, providing quick, concise and commercially focused legal advice in connection with such arrangements.
• Ideally this attorney will be well-versed in technology, licensing and financial services areas, with a critical eye towards privacy, risk and regulatory issues. Because the job will involve a large amount of drafting, editing and writing, exceptional writing skills are an absolute necessity.
• Prior experience in drafting and negotiating software licensing agreements (on-premise, software-as-a-service and public cloud licenses) is a plus.
• Candidate must be a solid team player and also possess team building skills. Candidate must value and exhibit excellent customer service.
• The ideal candidate will be a confident self-starter with strong interpersonal and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide sound legal advice, exercise good business judgment, work with senior management and implement policies and processes on a cross-functional basis in a fast paced environment.
• Demonstrated ability to independently lead a commercial contract from inception to closure: including (a) whole-cloth drafting of custom agreements relating to new business initiatives and (b) navigating strategic contracts through the company to obtain input and approval, including from senior management as applicable, in the areas that could include: operations, risk, tax, treasury, information security, acquiring relationships, integration/technology, accounting policy, and (c) appropriately escalating legal and business matters such as intellectual property, pricing, and exclusivity.
• Strengths must include (i) the ability to anticipate and identify legal and business issues and escalate appropriately to supervisor and business decision makers, (ii) excellent communication and leadership skills, (iii) a demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision, (iv) willingness to work on tight timeframes at a fast pace, including willingness to occasionally accommodate different time zones with global deals, (v) exceptional drafting skills and (vi) ability to isolate complex legal issues and provide quick, concise and commercially focused legal advice.
• Industry experience is not an absolute requirement, but the candidate must have intellectual curiosity, confidence and willingness to apply its legal foundation to new products and technology in order to draft new legal forms and approaches.
- JD or equivalent
- 5+ years of relevant experience in reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts (applicants with less experience will be considered)
- Current license to practice law
- Software licensing experience (on premise, software-as-a-service and public cloud) a plus
- Media/Advertising, eCommerce or Internet experience a plus, but not essential
- Capable of working with minimal supervision and experience managing a team
- Very comfortable working with senior executives within the Legal Department and the Business
- Flexible with the scope and wide variety of projects to be undertaken in this role
- Comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced culture, and have a practical, solutions-oriented focus
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Creative and detail oriented
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.