The Legal Counsel Compensation and Benefits position provides an opportunity for providing practical daily legal advice and counseling to HR clients and business leaders on a wide range of employee benefits and compensation matters.
The Legal Counsel Compensation and Benefits position provides an opportunity for providing practical daily legal advice and counseling to HR clients and business leaders on a wide range of employee benefits and compensation matters, including
- (i) design, administration and regulatory compliance of employee benefit plans, including with respect to ERISA, HIPAA, the ACA, COBRA and the Internal Revenue Code,
- (ii) design and administration of nonqualified deferred compensation plans, including compliance with 409A,
- (iii) design, administration, compliance and tax treatment of incentive compensation plans and executive compensation plans, both cash and equity-based, such as stock option, restricted stock units and performance-based cash awards,
- (iv) governance matters related to employee benefit plans, including fiduciary responsibilities,
- (v) compensation and benefits-related support in mergers and acquisitions,
- (vi) support of HR with negotiation of contracts with third party service providers on behalf of plan sponsor and benefit plans and
- (vii) interacting with all levels of colleagues, including senior management, on a mixture of compensation and benefits matters.
- Six plus years of experience as a lawyer in a law firm and/or in-house corporate setting;
- Excellent technical knowledge of laws affecting employee benefits, including ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code
- Significant experience drafting benefit plan documents and related materials
- Significant experience in mergers and acquisitions; and strong communication skills.
- Must currently be admitted to a state bar and be in good standing.
- Preferred Qualifications: Prior in-house experiencepreferred but not required.
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a JD.