Based in Toronto and New York, we have over a 120-year heritage as an owners and operators of real assets, offering a range of public and private investment products and services which leverage our expertise and experience. We have more than 1,000 investment professionals and 150,000 operating employees working in 30+ countries around the world. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE and the TSX.
Brookfield Asset Management Reinsurance Partners LP (BAM Re) is a newly established division of Brookfield, which has been established by Brookfield to own and operate a leading reinsurance business focused on providing capital-based solutions to insurance companies and their stakeholders. BAM Re will act as a strong, long-term partner in the sector, with ambitions to becoming the leading partner of choice for insurance companies in North America, the U.K and Europe. The group’s main activities will focus on delivering a wide variety of capital solutions to insurance companies and other industry participants, including reinsurance and other life and annuity-based products.
Brookfield is seeking a highly motivated Legal Associate to join its growing reinsurance team. Reporting into and working closely with the head of legal and transaction execution for BAM Re, the Associate will support a wide variety of internal and external facing legal matters and strategic initiatives within Brookfield’s growing reinsurance platform.
- Work directly with the head of legal and transaction execution on strategic initiatives across Brookfield’s reinsurance business, including growth initiatives, strategic acquisitions, and product development.
- Manage the execution of M&A transactions, including reinsurance arrangements
- Assist with diligencing, structuring and negotiating investment transactions
- Work with Brookfield’s investment team and private funds group to develop strategies to efficiently deploy BAM Re capital
- Support other general corporate matters that arise
Capital Markets Activities & Securities Regulation
- Manage the execution of debt and equity securities offerings and other capital markets and securities-based transactions
- Assist with the preparation and review of BAM Re’s corporate disclosures including press releases, management information circulars, annual information forms, annual reports, and quarterly financials
- Prepare and coordinate securities filings on the TSX and NYSE
- Assist in maintaining and monitoring trading protocols for BAM Re
- Review and approve of contractual agreements within the reinsurance group, such as credit facilities, trading agreements and other similar arrangements
Legal and Corporate Compliance
- Provide strategic legal advice on developments in laws as they impact BAM Re’s business and act as a legal resource on securities laws and other matters for the organization
- Assist with regulatory filings and correspondence, in particular with BAM Re’s principal insurance regulators
- Assist with investment compliance and governance processes, including by maintaining and monitoring compliance with Brookfield’s internal conflicts and other protocols
- Responsible for legal research and preparation of internal memorandums on legal matters relevant to BAM Re’s activities
- Prepare, review, and revise BAM Re contracts, including non-disclosure agreements
- Provide strategic advice internally on how to effectively address BAM Re-related litigation
- Be called to the Bar in Ontario or New York
- Have a minimum of 4-6 years’ post call experience as a lawyer specializing in securities and/or mergers and acquisitions, preferably gained at a major law firm and/or within the in-house legal department of a large publicly traded corporation
- Familiarity with Canadian and U.S. securities law is an asset
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present clearly and offer practical advice
- Self-motivated and proactive with the ability to operate independently
- Team-oriented with a commitment to shared success
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop collaborative relationships at all levels in the organization
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness
- Excellent organizational skills to effectively manage priorities while meeting timelines
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity