SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
This position is responsible for supporting SMS Assist’s Legal & Compliance teams by strategizing, planning, monitoring, executing, and reporting on various projects related to the corresponding department’s strategic and tactical objectives. This position drives projects with cross-functional teams, assists in the design and implementation of business systems and case analyses, and manages internal controls and reporting metrics. The role will involve creating efficient, user-friendly processes that allow the Legal & Compliance departments to scale their resources for a growing company.
- Develop initiatives using project management methodologies to assist in-house counsel, compliance leaders, and other business stakeholders to find efficiencies in the way they organize and perform their work.
- Work with in-house counsel to develop and document legal and compliance plans and timelines.
- Oversee and develop legal project management tools, resources, and technologies, including software, templates, checklists, databases, and forms.
- Support the use of software and technology within the department and the collection of data related to legal and compliance matters.
- Design and build project frameworks, presentations, and ongoing reporting.
- Develop and maintain timelines to track milestones, deliverables, and dependencies for legal and compliance matters.
- Assist the teams in their efforts to achieve business goals and produce deliverables within specified time frames.
- Ensure optimal organization of legal and compliance projects to enhance the efficiency of the departments.
- Communicate project objectives, goals, results, and timelines to internal stakeholders.
- Evaluate project effectiveness by collecting and analyzing data in support of key performance metrics.
- Guide communication about legal and compliance matters to the appropriate internal stakeholders.
- Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data.
- Encourage the use of best practices by ongoing review of legal and compliance project management trends and developments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Highly organized with the ability to plan, arrange, and logically communicate information related to legal and compliance initiatives, department scheduling, deliverables, and timelines
- Passionate about delivering exceptional service by working cooperatively within a team
- Able to spearhead projects as needed and function self-sufficiently within the role
- Highly competent in the use of new technologies and platforms, including PowerPoint and Excel
- Advanced in communication, both verbal and written, and able to deliver messages timely, clearly, logically, and without error
- Extremely process orientated with the ability to collect, organize, and maintain data and functions related to legal matters
- Adept at performing cost/benefit analysis, synthesizing information and data, and preparing project proposals
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role:
- Customer Service – Advanced
- Verbal Communication – Advanced
- Written Communication – Expert
- Teamwork – Advanced
- Relationships – Advanced
- Negotiation – Proficient
- Organizational Awareness – Advanced
- Learning Agility – Expert
- Analysis – Expert
- Problem Solving – Expert
- Process Orientation – Expert
- Prioritization – Expert
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 or more years of project management experience in a professional setting