Job ID 61079BR Date posted 02/14/2018 City Uniontown State Ohio CountryUS
UTC Aerospace Systems is one of the world's largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products. We design, manufacture and service systems and components and provide integrated solutions for commercial, regional, business and military aircraft, helicopters and other platforms. We are also a major supplier to international space programs
Sensors & Integrated Systems, a business unit of UTC Aerospace Systems, is a leading provider of cutting-edge sensors and sensor-based systems for the commercial aerospace and defense industries including electronic flight bags, air data systems, ice detection and protection systems, fuel measurement and management systems, guidance navigation and control systems, health and usage management systems, rescue hoists, mission data recorders and sensing suites for aircraft engines.?
SIS is headquartered in Burnsville, MN and has 4 reporting segments:
• Rosemount Aerospace with locations in MN and India
• Simons Precision and Atlantic Inertial Systems with locations in VT, UK, and CT
• Goodrich Rescue and Specialty Systems (GRS) with locations in CA, OH, WV, and France
• Kidde™ Fire Protection Systems (FPS) with locations in NC, Germany, France, and UK
The Goodrich Rescue and Specialty Systems facility in Uniontown, OH, has an immediate need for a Materials EngineeringTechnician. The primary objective of this technician position is to provide a high level of technician support to the materials engineering department for the development and testing of materials and processes for aircraft products and function as lead operator of materials engineering lab and rubber mill/calender lab. This technician role supports new product introduction, sustaining engineering and support of materials for manufacturing and from suppliers. This technician will train Co-ops and otherlab technicians in the use of processing and mechanical test equipment in materials lab and calender/mill lab.
- Provide hands-on technical support for development and qualification testing including rubber, composite, plastic, electrical materials, cements and adhesives.
- Lead Technician for operation of Rubber Mill and Calender used in the development of rubber formulations and small production runs on lab scale equipment.
- Conduct mechanical, physical, chemical and rheometer tests, writing procedures and providing data for technical reports in an accurate and detailed manner.
- Lead Technician for Materials Engineering to develop and test products to verify successful material application and mechanical performance in deicer products for ice protection, specialty heated products, and materials development activities.
- Provide technical material and process support to manufacturing to ensure that products are fabricated effectively and efficiently.
- Support pneumatic de-icer testing including test de-icer installations, life cycle flex testing, inflation height testing, Icing Wind Tunnel testing, and Rain Erosion Testing.
- Maintenance and/or calibration of general and custom test equipment and/or for Materials laboratory areas.
- Support Rain Erosion Silo as a certified operator for internal and external customers.
- Serve on various formal/informal ACE process improvement teams, including but not limited to Lean, Kaizen, Continuous Improvement, and 5-S groups.
Ideal candidate should have:
- Proven hands-on work capabilities and knowledge of standard materials and rubber lab equipment.
- Proficient in the use of various pieces of laboratory/test equipment including materials testing, rubber milling, rubber calendering, rubber testing and autoclave equipment, mechanical test equipment.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task, remain organized, and complete objectives on time.
- Be capable of performing technical assignments in support of materials and design engineering, production implementation and troubleshooting activities involving various materials and processes while also providing thorough documentation of activities performed.
- Must be able to operate mechanical and electrical tools and equipment.
- Have a solid understanding of basic mechanical, materials and rubber technical principles.
- Possess practical, hands-on skills and an ability to work collaboratively with technical personnel.
- Experience in working with hands on building specimens and testing products or prototypes. Have a good understanding of fabrication processes.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and deliver meaningful results.
- Must be able to use technical drawings, specifications and test procedures.
- Experience with various MS-based software packages (Word, Excel), computers, hand tools, gages and fixtures.
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in technical knowledge and use of drawings, specifications and test procedures.
Highly preferred qualifications:
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams as required.
- Proficiency in the use of various pertinent pieces of laboratory/test equipment including Instron mechanical testing, rubber rheometers, mixing, milling, calendering, cutting, environmental chambers, ovens and autoclave equipment a plus.
- Elastomeric and composite materials experience a plus.
- Perform maintenance, troubleshooting, calibration or modification of hardware, fixtures, and software for materials lab equipment.
Travel – less than 10% normally. Position requires direct contact with suppliers, customers, and outside test labs. Local travel in NE Ohio is required. Optional infrequent travel overnight may include domestic U.S. destinations including WV production facility or aircraft deicer installations at airports.
Education: Associate/Technical Degree or equivalent and 10+ years of applicable or military technical experience in a materials or rubber laboratory or related to aerospace or rubber products field. Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Technology with a minimum of 5 years experience in a materials or rubber laboratory or a related to aerospace or rubber products field.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.