Burns & McDonnell is an award-winning engineering, architectural, construction, environmental and consulting services firm; ranked #16 on the 2017 Best Companies to Work For® List by Fortune magazine. We are 100% employee-owned.
Burns & McDonnell has an opportunity in our Portland, Maine office for a Senior Substation Engineer. As a member of our Transmission and Distribution Group, successful candidates will provide engineering and project management services on substation projects (from 34 up to 500 kV voltage level). You will work in a team environment with a focus placed on client and peer to peer interaction. You can expect to be a part of an energy-filled work place at a successful and growing company.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare new and modify existing relay drawings including relay panel arrangements, single lines, three lines, AC schematics, DC elementaries, equipment wiring, and relay panel wiring.
- Design substations utilizing client standards including bill of materials, yard layouts, plans, sections and details, grounding, ground grid, control building arrangements, interior and exterior raceways, auxiliary AC and DC power systems, and cable lists.
- Prepare calculations and equipment specifications.
- Own the project scope, schedule & budget.
- Coordinate with other disciplines included communications, civil & structural, transmission line, permitting and public relations.
- Provide construction support and coordinate with contractors.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Meet with clients or outside personnel and develop key client points of contact.
- Provide direction to ensure teams effectively execute project work and deliver high quality work products.
- Identify, communicate and resolve issues on projects as needed.
- May develop and evaluate plans for major projects.
- May assess feasibility or soundness of proposed applications when data is insufficient or testing is advisable.
- May coordinate departmental or divisional project studies, reports or project design assignments.
- Perform design quality reviews for projects of all sizes.
- Some marketing and proposal responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from accredited program. Minimum 7 years related high voltage substation design experience and experience with power systems including knowledge of:
- power systems design - one line, three line, DC and AC schematics,
- power apparatus in utility projects,
- power systems studies - load flow and short circuit analysis, and
- project scopes, project schedules and deliverables.