The Lead Project Engineer will work in the Interconnection & Remote Monitoring System Design Unit and will be responsible of the all phases of the design of step-up substation, HV line for the plant interconnection to the grid and the grid interconnection process and requirements.
Responsibilities, include, but not limited to:
- Coordinate design for step up substation, transmission line and control system with internal and external specialists/contractors in order to define the best configuration of the plant and maximize the economic results, safety, reliability and quality of the project;
- Coordinate grid compliance documentation;
- Coordinate interconnection and energization phase;
- Support Business Development with preparation of feasibility studies, basic design, technical specification for tender and grid studies for interconnection authorization;
- Support Business Development with technical support for technical documentation for tender;
- Solid Understanding of an interconnection process and ability to extrapolate key dates, risks and mitigations possibilities;
- Capex definition for the HV design for investment committee report;
- Support Construction and Planning departments and coordinate with Project Manager(s);
- Prepare of the technical tender documentation for the assignment of construction contracts and plant supplies;
- Provide technical support to the Operation & Maintenance unit during the operation phase of the plant.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent subjects, Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering is preferred;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar position with a renewable company, utility, ISO or and EPC/consulting firm;
- Solid knowledge of Electric power system, transmission and distribution system, control of power system, planning of transmission and distribution system, connection’s procedure of power plants and battery storage facilities;
- Knowledge of protection schemes for breakers, transformers, transmission lines, different bus configurations;
- Knowledge of high and medium voltage engineering design standards (ANSI, IEEE, NEC, NESC);
- Practical knowledge of HV Substation and HV Lines installation and testing;
- Ability to provide model parameters for different type of studies needed for plant interconnection;
- Grid interconnection process knowledge and understanding;
- Ability to understand Generator Interconnection requirements;
- Ability to work with PSS/e and other power system simulation packages (like PSCad)
- Professional Eng. license preferred;
- A valid driver’s license operable in all 50 states and Canada and a clean driving record. A clean driving records means:
- in the last 3 years, no driving-related suspension, revocation or cancellation, no disqualifying offenses, no more than 2 moving violations and no reckless driving incidents.
- In the last 5 years, no major driving offenses including DUI/DWI, refusal to test, leaving the scene, driving a commercial vehicle without a CDL, or at-fault fatal accident.
- Up to 20% of domestic travel and occasional international travel may be required.
Soft skills and personal characteristics:
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision;
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Good written and verbal communication;
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to effectively support and work well with people from different disciplines;
- Superior organizational skills and detail oriented to ensure accuracy and quality;
- Strong client-facing and internal communication skills;
- Adaptability and flexibility to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change;
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects and meet deadlines;
- Experience working in a multicultural environment and in a matrix based organization is preferred.