Description and Requirements
We are looking for an experienced and professional Lead, Sr. Database Administration to join our growing organization to work out of our Hamilton NJ or Plymouth Meeting PA locations. Our Lead DBA is responsible for the designing, building and supporting SQL Server database management systems across our multiple locations. Our next hire must be thoroughly familiar with standard concepts, practices, procedures, and have database architecture experience. In addition to possessing the requisite technical skills, the preferred candidate will have a track record of demonstrating initiative, teamwork and a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from four-year college in computer science or related field or 5+ years of equivalent industry experience
- MCSA in SQL Server Administration preferred
- 7+ consecutive years of experience in the Sr. or Lead Sr. SQL Server DBA role
- Expert hands-on experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 through 2017
- Experience Azure SQL, Streaming Analytics, or other Azure data services strongly preferred
- SQL Server enterprise level experience with the following features:
- SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS administration
- Failover Clustering (Always On: FCI & AG) design and configuration
- Data replication solutions (i.e. Log Shipping and SQL Replication) configuration
- Applying data compression on tables and indexes
- Troubleshooting performance with SQL Server Profiler, Database Engine Tuning Advisor, Performance Monitor
- Expert knowledge of the following concepts:
- T-SQL administrative scripting
- Analyzing Dynamic Management Views for monitoring database health
- Creating SQL Server maintenance plans and/or custom maintenance scripts
- Database stored procedure, trigger, and index creation and tuning
- Microsoft Active Directory authentication and authorization
- Windows Server 2003-2016 operation
- Centralized DB instance management
- Oracle and Open Source database technologies a plus
- Preferred experience in the following concepts:
- PowerShell administration automation of SQL Server
- Azure or other cloud database offerings
- Experience in ITSM regarding change, incident, and request policies and procedures
- Excellent communication, documentation, and organizational skills
- Self-starter and proactive
- Install and maintain the DBMS server operating systems as well as all supporting software.
- Implement short- and long-term strategic plans to make certain database infrastructure meets existing and future requirements. Ideally covering Microsoft SQL, Oracle, and Open Source technologies. Disaster Recovery designs and solutions for databases also required.
- Implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated maintenance plans for DBMS resource administration and appropriate use.
- Maintain DBMS accounts, groups, permissions, etc. as necessary.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on DBMS products, services, protocols, and standards in support of business applications and supports development efforts.
- Design, implement, manage, and tune SQL Server DBMS.
- Troubleshoot database-related issues as necessary.
- Recommend tools and practices to enhance performance and insights.
- Create documentation to supplement organization's knowledge, increase consistency, and facilitate ongoing management.
- Assist and advise where necessary on all aspects of DBMS management, including regular maintenance activities, backups, and disaster recovery.
- Design, manage, and audit database security implementing best practices.
- Act as gatekeeper to ensure that promoted code changes do not compromise data integrity or degrade performance.
- Tune database code, reporting, store procedures, and relevant scripts prior to implementation.
- Educate developers on database coding best practices and team members on all aspects of database management.
- Planning maintenance activities and implementing during defined windows.
- Establish on-call rotation for escalations and support the management of a 24/7 support model internally and externally as needed.
WCG is the world’s leading provider of solutions that measurably improve the quality and efficiency of clinical research. The industry’s first clinical services organization (CSO), WCG enables biopharmaceutical companies, CROs, and institutions to accelerate the delivery of new treatments and therapies to patients, while maintaining the highest standards of human subject protection. WCG’s highly motivated team delivers transformational solutions that stimulate growth, protect ethical compliance, and maximize efficiency for those who perform clinical trials.