Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We are excited to consider a remote engineer for this role! Remote team members will be expected to work out of their home office.
The Telemetry Data Platform group at New Relic builds the foundation for all of our products: data ingestion, transformation, storage, and retrieval. As a Team Lead on one of our streaming teams, you’ll contribute to improving data ingestion and transformation within streaming systems that are vital to our mission.
We own our software from top to bottom and are directly responsible for its quality and reliability. Each member of the team shares our pager rotation and will participate in an on-call rotation to respond to actionable alerts and incidents; so we prioritize work that keeps the lights on and the pager quiet, in addition to the work that powers all of our new products and streams of data.
If the idea of working on systems that process millions of messages per second and handle petabytes of data while working on a team that values empathy, collaboration, and mentorship excites you, then you may be exactly what we're looking for!
What You’ll Do
- Build and maintain highly available, real-time, distributed services, and high throughput data processing pipelines.
- Diagnose and solve problems in operating high throughput services and distributed systems including dealing with coordination, concurrency, and resource efficiency.
- Balance operational needs with new feature development
- Assist in the mentoring and development of team members
In your first month, you will:
- Understand your team’s workflows, constraints, roles, ceremonies, purpose, and needs from the business.
- Familiarize yourself with your team's services, learning about the service catalog your team is responsible for.
- Build rapport with your teammates.
- Contribute to the active development your team is focusing on.
In your first three months, you will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of how your team fits into the larger organization and work collaboratively with partners and stakeholders.
- Participate in your team's on-call rotation, handle internal help requests, and field potential incidents.
- Mentor engineers on your team and supporting their career growth.
- Lead the development of a new feature the team shipped to production.
In your first six months, you will:
- Contribute to the strategy and vision for your team by identifying and planning work based on your understanding of customer needs.
- Identify and work on areas to further your career by growing as an engineer, a leader, and a person.
- Find and act on opportunities to have an impact beyond your team.
- 7+ years experience in software development
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals is crucial.
- The majority of our code is written in Java, experience dealing with concurrency in Java is especially helpful
- Experience troubleshooting operational issues through the use of telemetry data, command-line tools, and knowledge of the JVM
- 10+ years of experience working on a multi-tenant SaaS platform.
- Our architecture is built around Apache Kafka, and every single one of our services interacts with Kafka in one way or another. Experience with Kafka or other data pipeline technologies is a plus, but not required.
- Experience working with public cloud resources, especially AWS.
- Experience with open-source tools like Kubernetes and Argo for deploying, scaling, and managing services in cloud-based environments.