Lead Software Engineer (Java), Core Technology
Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic Lead Software Engineer to join the Battle.net organization to lead a core technology team.
Battle.net is a premier online global gaming service, powering Blizzard's games with social features, commerce, distribution, and more. The Battle.net Desktop App and Battle.net Mobile App have been installed millions of times around the globe, and they bring our global community of gamers together, and provide them with access to games, news, friends, and more!
The majority of Battle.net servers are written in Java or C++. This core technology team focuses on the Java technologies of Battle.net, and builds/integrates libraries, frameworks, and tools, to allow our systems to operate with high reliability, and our engineers to be enabled to make the most impact.
Some of the technologies we use include Spring Boot, Docker, Consul, Vault, Terraform, SQL and NoSQL databases, and more, to deliver a world-class platform for Blizzard. The projects includes leveraging cloud technologies for build and deploy automation, monitoring libraries to capture detailed performance and operational metrics at scale, technologies to enable a microservices environment, service reliability improvements, security frameworks, best practice CI/CD, auto-scaling, stress testing frameworks, and more!
The Lead Software Engineer will lead a team of talented engineers, to develop scalable and highly performant services, libraries, and frameworks. The role focuses on server-side engineering and architecture, on topics including fault tolerance, scalability, security, automation, monitoring, and more.
- A minimum of 10 years professional software industry experience
- A minimum of 5 years of programming experience with Java
- Demonstrated leadership, a passion and desire to manage and lead high-performance teams and people. Inspire, support, guide, and grow!
- Experience working on large scale services, including dealing with matters of scalability, reliability, and performance
- Well versed with the concepts and philosophy of DevOps
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Strong understanding of Linux / UNIX servers
- Strong experience with CI/CD
- Familiar with cloud technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Spinnaker, Kafka, Consul, Vault, and OpenStack
- Knowledgeable about data tier technologies, including RDBMSs at scale
- Passion for gaming
- Constantly strive to improve our systems and technologies to achieve high levels of service reliability
- Improve our developer excellence, by providing useful tooling, libraries, automation, and other means, to achieve world class engineering practices
- Directly manage 6 to 8 software engineers, providing project planning, technical input, and career coaching
- Provide technical leadership for projects, including service reliability, build and deploy automation, scalability improvements, and performance optimization
- Coordinate closely with system administrators, DBAs, site reliability engineers, and cloud experts, to deliver epic engineering tools, systems, and practices
- Be an advocate and educator of cutting edge engineering practices and technologies