WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at The Knot Worldwide, we believe in doing work that matters. In 15 countries around the world, our leading family of brands (The Knot, WeddingWire, Bodas, GigMasters, The Bump, How They Asked, Lasting, and more) inspire, inform, and celebrate our communities as they move through life's milestones. From the proposal to creating a home, and starting a family together, we're there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
The Lead Software Engineer (you!) will bring a wide range of professional expertise and knowledge to our global Product Development team as we create the very best wedding experience for couples, their guests and vendors--our small business customers. Our newly created Internal Tools team will be responsible for developing proprietary software that will be used by WeddingWire employees. This team designs, builds and maintains high quality, scalable product deployments to backend systems and tools that are critical to internal team workflows. This team will also oversee systems and third party integrations that are critical to our business-facing operations. You will execute strategy surrounding code deployments and manage the foundation and framework for others to be effective throughout the release process, You will participate in productive, results-driven business discussions and decision making. The cherry on top, you will continue to advance personal skill set and domain knowledge while helping others progress through mentorship opportunities.
- Work as part of our Internal Tools team to evaluate and execute designs and improvements to systems that power admin interfaces, sales, contract management systems, and billing integrations.
- Implement designs quickly and efficiently with minimal error, or delegate lower level tasks to more Junior developers when appropriate.
- Ensure that systems are maintained and scalable and that tech debt remains minimal during and after feature development. Technological choices should be made thoughtfully so their impacts do not hinder future development.
- Participate in and provide technical insight on business discussions and decision making; facilitating productive conversations that drive positive business results.
- Manage code deployments, and provide the foundation and framework for others to be effective in doing so as well.
- Champion developers and ensure their voices are heard and tech debt remains minimal, to ensure product development either does not slow down, or begins happening more quickly.
- Lead design and implement mechanisms to share data securely and efficiently between teams.
- Assist in automating the developer toolkit to provide recurring value to the company over time; enabling quicker ramp times for new employees and more efficient internal transfers.
- Participate in--and raise the bar for--technical hiring across the Product Development organization. Inspire external developers to join the company and help raise the overall technical excellence of the team.
- Automate the quality assurance phase of the development cycle through rigorous automation testing, ensuring quality remains high.
- Enable and participate in a DevOps culture in the Product Development organization. Monitor system uptime, response times, and product quality; and participate in issue resolution by being on-call for work delivered.
- Foster and maintain a healthy, friendly, happy, and emotionally safe work environment.
SUCCESSFUL SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER CANDIDATES HAVE:
- A Bachelor's degree or 6-8 years of relevant engineering experience; hands-on coding is required
- Professional experience and proficiency in coding and delivering product in PHP and at least one other interpreted web-friendly scripting language (Ruby, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Experience integrating custom codebases with enterprise software systems such as Salesforce or Netsuite and with systems that facilitate credit card transactions
- Full knowledge of the web stack is necessary
- Experience in one or more of the technologies we use today: Ruby on Rails, React/Redux/ES6/Webpack, PHP, MySQL, Sphinx, Elasticsearch, Redis, Chef, Docker, Apache and NGINX
- Managerial or technical lead experience is a plus
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn't right, you say something.
- You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You aren't afraid to challenge the status quo and know that there's no such thing as failure if you learn from it.
- You seek out feedback and never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
The Knot Worldwide offers a unique employee experience and we are deeply proud of our award-winning culture. From flexible vacation and generous parental leave benefits to promoting wellness and giving back to our community, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
The Knot Worldwide provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability. In addition to federal law requirements, The Knot Worldwide complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. The Knot Worldwide expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.