Imply is behind a data platform that’s used at some of the largest companies in the world to answer complex questions from trillions of events and data points in less than a second. To power our platform, we build and maintain Apache Druid, an open-source real-time analytical database used at thousands of companies.
Our customers use Imply to answer questions from “What do tweens in North Carolina who listen to Justin Bieber like to buy“ to “What updates to our infrastructure have caused the CPU to spike when some customers from Europe hit our servers” to “Why are we seeing an increase in traffic going through our backbone from Japan as opposed to being routed internally?”
Self-service analytics capabilities are a core part of the Imply experience. As we move forward into the next phase of our product growth, we are looking for a hands-on technical lead to help mature our application services team, planning and delivering the foundational engineering practices we need to shift to a cloud-native, web-scale services model. In this leadership role, you will be responsible for mentoring other team members, leading the technical design of new initiatives, and ensuring that we are delivering performant, highly observable systems that facilitate a great end user experience.
In this role, you could expect to work on:
- Working with your team to deliver technical designs and execution plans for new application services as we transition our product into a SaaS world.
- Building out well-documented, well-tested public-facing APIs with a great developer experience.
- Providing application-level services for observability and product telemetry that can easily be consumed by other teams.
- Optimizing query plans against Apache Druid to support lightning-fast slice and dice visual analytics UIs.
We are a collaborative and supportive team. We measure individual success by how well the team does and by how effectively we push each other to grow professionally. We believe teams should have a significant say in what they build and how, and therefore should be responsible for the eventual success of what they’re building.
- Mentoring and growing the skillset of the applications engineering team.
- Leading technical design discussions with the team, breaking down requirements into self-contained, actionable stories.
- Working cross-functionally with other stakeholders, engineering teams, and organizations to ensure that we resolve problems in a holistic and timely manner, and deliver new capabilities with the entire product in mind.
- Advocating for engineering excellence, working with the team to identify quantifiable areas for improvement to drive engineering velocity and developer experience.
- Leading the execution for delivering enterprise-grade, highly scalable consumer facing web application services.
- Applying your engineering capabilities to identify, debug, and resolve technical issues.
- 5+ years professional experience in a technical leadership role with a focus on application services.
- Relevant professional experience with services-oriented architecture and distributed systems.
- Relevant professional experience working with complex, enterprise-grade web applications.
- Expertise with modern software development lifecycle and methodologies, with a deep emphasis on CI/CD and delivering well-documented, well-tested code.
- Deep expertise with web services and broad knowledge of modern API delivery patterns such as REST and GraphQL.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field, or equivalent professional work experience.
- A history of open-source contributions and familiarity with the Apache open source ecosystem.
- Experience with visual analytics or BI tools.
What we offer:
- 100% Paid Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 401(k) Program
- Carrot Fertility
- Pet Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Wellness Stipend
- Office Equipment Reimbursement
- Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits
- Paid Lunches (Post COVID)
Imply is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.