Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operates more than 18,000 stores in 47 states, and we’re still growing.
A Lead Software Engineer (LSE) is recognized as an expert in their strategic functional area and uses a systematic application of advanced technical knowledge to deliver software solutions using modern day technology stacks.
The LSE leads large complex projects consisting of on-shore and off-shore resources, uses strong organizational and leadership skills to set and maintain efficient development progress, and defines all software components for large-scale systems with minimal oversight.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Collaborate with decision makers, external vendors and stakeholders to define complex business requirements
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information in a condensed manner both verbally and in writing.
- Take initiative to contact stakeholders and research solutions when problems are encountered
- Understanding of complex Retail and Technology concepts.
- Recognized expert in one strategic domain with advanced knowledge in at least one additional domain
- Generates commitment and enthusiasm from others to set and achieve challenging goals and objectives
- Experience leading teams and demonstrates a mastery in all aspects of software development activities
- Assists in career development, staff mentoring and succession planning for engineers
- Understands and implements architectural vision for performance, extensibility and availability
- Leads scope of work estimation, cost estimates, task planning, forecasting, scheduling and staff requirements definitions
- Leads complex technology initiatives including those that are companywide with broad impact
- Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Educate team on technology changes applicable to their domain and how to apply them to their business area.
- Act as a key participant in developing standards and companywide best practices for engineering
- Assigns tasks to both on-shore and off-shore team members to leverage strengths or enhance knowledge.
Work Experience &/or Education:
- 7+ years experience in software development in an IT organization or equivalent educational experience.
- 3+ years experience with a relational database (i.e., Oracle, MSSQL, Postgres, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, trade school or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with a higher-level language (i.e. C#, Java, etc.).