Code.org is transforming computer science education and changing the world. Working at Code.org, you’ll be playing an active role in getting computer science education into all schools for all students and building the diverse, competitive workforce of the future.
As a Lead Software Engineer at Code.org, you’ll be leading a small team of talented software engineers. The team focuses on building tools to manage the process of training teachers to teach computer science. You’ll manage, mentor and grow the people on your team as well as providing technical leadership. You’ll also spend a lot of time writing code and be expected to be a key coding contributor.
The tools this team builds are used by Code.org partners around the country to prepare teachers to teach computer science. Training CS teachers is a key part of Code.org’s mission; the current lack of qualified CS teachers is a barrier to adoption of CS in K-12 schools. Code.org and our partners have trained over 72,000 teachers, and we’re still just getting started. A key technical challenge for us now is to provide tools that effectively scale to all our partners around the country, and reach new audiences including international and rural teachers. You’ll help bring many thousands of teachers into CS and affect the lives of the millions of students they go on to teach.
This is full stack position using Ruby on Rails and React.js. You should have experience building professional-grade web applications. Previous experience in our specific technologies is nice to have but not required.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- Passion for our mission of increasing access to computer science education
- Desire to support the growth of female and underrepresented minority students
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Computer Science
- 7+ years as a software engineer
- Top-notch technical ability
- Ability to lead and energize others
- Supportive manager with experience helping others grow
- Previous engineering management experiencepreferred
- Expertise in some of thesetechnologiespreferred:
- Ruby on Rails
In addition, candidates:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.