We are true believers in electronic sports, so don’t be surprised if you see us playing mobile games at our desks or in the kitchen. At Skillz, this type of behavior is encouraged! You can also catch us at our weekly game nights playing anything from Starcraft to Cranium over dinner, while discussing new technologies or brainstorming ideas to improve our business.
Not a “gamer”? Don’t worry about it. Every Skillzian brings a unique perspective to the team, and we bond over plenty of activities that don’t involve games. We’re working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission. As the creators and leaders of a new marketplace, we work with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and frankly, we get the job done!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding, building and selling successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you.
Who we’re looking for:
You love video games and software, have side projects that you can't wait to show off and are looking for a place where your contributions matter. You consider yourself a hacker and enjoy figuring out how systems are intended to work just so you can break them. You pay attention to detail, take pride in doing things the “right” way and you’re excited to play a big role on a small team. You grew up with a computer strapped to your hip and wouldn't have it any other way.
- Design, prototype and implement highly scalable and reliable back-end services.
- Collaborate with Directors, Engineering Leads, DevOps, Quality Assurance and Product teams affect the next generation of architecture for the Skillz platform
- Evaluate emerging technologies and software products to determine feasibility and desirability of incorporating their capabilities within the company products.
- Advocate and evangelize best practices in design, modeling, coding and unit testing across all the engineering teams
- Provide feedback on product designs and provide technical solutions to multi-faceted, complex business requirements
- 3+ in a Software Architect role
- 12+ years of software development experience
- Extensive experience working on large scale (10 million or more MAUs), highly concurrent applications
- Experience with MySQL and NoSQL relational databases including design and optimization
- Developed software using cloud based servers specifically with AWS
- Be brilliant and humble, have empathy, patience and encourage other team members to succeed and grow within their roles
- Understand business needs and translate them into detailed technical concepts