Albertsons-Safeway Company is one of the largest food and drug retailers with 2,300+ stores. The Albertsons-Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
The Information Technology Department has an opening for a Lead Senior Mechanical Engineer. This position is located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Accountable for assisting the data center facilities manager in the daily operation and maintenance activities of the data centers mechanical systems infrastructure. Shares responsibility for overseeing the facility with the Sr Electrical Lead when facility manager is not on site.
- Scheduling of maintenance activities and vendors, contractors for maintenance, repairs or new installation.
- Monitors systems and is first responder to alarms, failures and emergencies associated with the critical power infrastructure systems in the data center, and during on call shift afterhours.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assists the data center facilities manager in the operation, maintenance and repair of Albertsons-Safeway's IT mechanicalinfrastructure equipment in the data center. Monitor, operate, adjust, maintain, and repair as required, all critical data center electrical systems, preventive maintenance and BMS control systems.
- 24/7/365 on-call availability, Respond to all critical system and operational issues. Respond to all assigned Albertsons-Safeway IT personnel requests as received.
- Oversees and directs supervise, contractor, vendor work and scheduling and in-house maintenance staff.
- Prepare scope of work and requests for proposals, meet, request, analyze and negotiate all bid request for upgrade and enhancements, repairs to equipment and systems submit recommendations to management. Interfaces with IT leadership and outside engineering professionals.
- Responsible for setting up new vendors with purchasing, process requests for purchase orders for material or services monitor and approve work completion for payment.
- Evaluates systems, equipment and components recommends upgrades or replacements advises and makes recommendations to management for approval. Participates in systems design meetings for new equipment.
- Maintains building documents, drawings, operating manuals and procedures, equipment PM program, records and all other logs, records and history files related to the mechanical equipment and systems. Responsible for opening Change Control requests for work in the data center, oversees site building control systems.
- Associate, Bachelor's Degree in mechanical engineering, HVAC or maintenance or competition of formal trade, technical, military school training.
- 8+ year's practical experience in large data center.
- Mechanical HVAC chiller/central plant systems engineering and maintenance operations.
- Journeyman HVAC/Foreman/ Pipefitter license preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Minimum 8 -- 10 years HVAC, mechanical central plant in a supervisory facilities engineering operations position in a large data center or large commercial facility.
- Exceptional skills in the operation and maintenance of all mechanical systems infrastructure equipment and other related systems in Data Centers following industry data center best practices for a Tier III and IV Data Centers.
- Proven understanding of the level of urgency associated with preventative, diagnostic and repair maintenance, best practices, policies and procedures.
- HVAC -- Significant knowledge in commercial mechanical/HVAC theory, application, testing and trouble shooting and maintenance of DX equipment, central plant chilled water, centrifugal chillers to 500 tons, large capacity pumps, water systems, piping, fan systems, air distribution, raised floor air conditioning systems/chilled water (CRAC) and humidification.
- Building control and management and monitoring systems design operation, temperature controls operation and application.
- Operation, maintenance data center best practices, engineering, trouble shooting and systems design.
- Working knowledge of diesel engines and generator sets and PLC parallel switchgear used as emergency backup power systems in data centers, knowledge of diesel fuel and maintenance of fuel systems.
- Electrical --Knowledge of power distribution systems to 600 volts, circuit breakers, VFD's, wiring, schematics, electrical motors, relays and electrical controls used in the HVAC trade.
- Able to use meters, tools and test equipment used in electrical system diagnostics.
- Must be able to interact with Facilities/data center management, IT Management, operations personnel, security staff, site admin, IT purchasing and accounts payable staff, Vendors, contractors, suppliers, engineers, architects, city inspectors on a regular basis.
- Travel requirements: less than 10%
- Ability to work flexible schedules including weekends, holidays, and unscheduled shifts. Response at any hour, under any weather circumstance; is a must in an emergency. Clear thinking at any hour is a requirement. Must be a self-starter.
- Position requires supervision and direction of in-house personal and outside vendors, contractors and suppliers of data center mechanical systems equipment for repair and installation per site and industry standards and best practices.
- Proficient in the creation of RFQ/RFP and bid submittal packages for materials, maintenance repairs and equipment.
- Ability to meet and communicate and negotiate contracts for goods, services and maintenance required for the site.
- Experience in project management system testing and commissioning.
- Experience in managing maintenance crews in the field, vendors and contractors.
- Ability to communicate with engineers, architects and other industry professionals.
- Strong ability to identify problems and develop solutions to correct.
- Knowledge of raised floor structure systems, mechanical and electricalinfrastructure, rack systems placement and installation of hardware and cabling.
- Detailed knowledge of preventative maintenance plans programs, documentation practices, scheduling, frequency, history recording and scheduling, responsible for maintaining all PM records and history.
- Detailed knowledge of maintenance practices as they apply to each individual component and system per OEM requirements.
Additional preferred knowledge, training or experience:
- Local, state and federal, building, electrical, mechanical, fire and safety codes, N.E.C, ASHRE, NFPA, OSHA
- IR Scanning Level I, certification
- Widows, MS Office applications, power quality monitoring systems and software, Visio, AutoCAD
- Above average communication, scheduling and organizational skills.