In this role you must have specialized knowledge of securities laws and legal procedures, be able to work independently, and exercise substantial judgement under the supervision of the responsible attorney. You will coordinate projects involving complex corporate and investments law with the business departments and manage development and oversight of Law and Compliance processes to ensure areas within the asset management organization receive accurate, updated and timely information.
You will join Symetra Investment Management Company’s new Law and Compliance team, working on substantive legal subject matter (including federal securities regulations, commercial lending, private placements and derivatives) and/or the use of new technology, data-analytics and metrics and the use of these tools to manage growth and increase efficiencies.
You will also evaluate and recommend new and improved processes to the Law & Compliance team by using specialized knowledge to conduct research, review best practices, recommend changes, and create new procedures. This is a unique opportunity to leverage legal knowledge and paralegal expertise to take on a key role at a new asset manager. Are you driven, highly organized and ready to support the build out of a new asset management legal team?
- Coordinate projects of significant and complex corporate and securities law including communication with outside counsel and internal lead stakeholders across the asset management business, including senior executive management, under the supervision of the responsible attorney. Manage cross-functional teams particularly with complex projects and will be accountable for meeting deadlines.
- Responsible for monitoring relevant legal developments in areas relevant to a Registered Investment Adviser with the SEC. Report on such developments to the lead attorney and other effected stakeholders.
- Develop and oversee processes in Law and Compliance designed to ensure relevant areas of the organization are provided with updated and timely information. Analyze regulations and statutes and draft legal documents to comply with such regulations and/or statutes. Regularly serve as a consultant for colleagues, both in Law and business areas, on substantive legal subject matters. Provide information about current processes as well as how best to structure new processes and enhance department efficiencies. Assist senior attorneys on a variety of legal matters impacting the company. May review the work of others
- Assess and recommend new and improved processes in Law and Compliance. Research applicable state and/or federal statutes and regulations regarding best practices and recommend improvement to current processes. Follow through on recommendations by creating applicable procedures or reviewing procedures created by business units. Use specialized knowledge and experience to report to attorney or General Counsel regarding lapses or gaps in procedures.
- Identify opportunities for training and education on relevant topics for Law, Compliance and business units. Assist with preparations for training materials and conduct training sessions.
Your education, experience, and skills
- Bachelor's preferred but not required
- Paralegal Certificate or Equivalent Work Experience Necessary
- 7+ years in heavily regulated environment or law firm performing paralegal or equivalent duties
- May include such experience as SEC filing and knowledge of securities laws, knowledge of corporate governance process and procedure, experience supporting complex transactional legal documents.
- Organizational skills with exceptional legal and writing skills
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing across many disciplines