Lead, Protection & Controls Engineer
Lake Mary, Florida
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Lead and develop the regional Protection and Control Engineering team to ensure the delivery of high quality, cost competitive engineering services and recruit and maintain a competent and knowledgeable workforce. Candidate must be a hands-on problem solver willing to work through issues as they arise with staff, offices, disciplines and projects. This individual must also develop and implement strategies to unify offices, leadership, disciplines and staff to promote a seamless, communicative working environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Solid understanding of substation project scope and deliverables
- Capable of producing control building layouts, P&C one-line diagram, three-line diagrams, AC/DC schematics, control panel layout and wiring diagram, station service AC/DC distribution diagram, bill of material, cable schedule, etc.
- AC/DC load calcs and CT saturation analysis
- Review the design basis memorandum, detailed engineering scope, and guide the assigned discipline engineers/designers to align the engineering deliverables according to project requirements
- Review and accept vendor submittals based upon conformity to and compliance with applicable technical specifications and industry standards
- Provide construction support including resolving site queries through and RFI and/or submittal process, attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects
- Incorporate substation studies in detailed design
- Lead meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Coordination with equipment vendors, clients and other design disciplines
- Prepare Construction and Review packages
- Plan, organize and manage the day to day activities of the project from inception through engineering, construction, commissioning and hand over
- Report the progress of the project to the client or Stantec Project Manager
- Act as a liaison between Stantec engineering and construction teams
- Respond to RFIs
- Work closely with other disciplines to produce complete station drawings and package
- Preparation of project plans, management of work in progress (WIP), cost control, schedule, management of the coordination of the project engineering and technical support staff and management of project scope, including negotiation of scope changes with the client.
- Ensure that Stantec Design Practices are followed as they relate to their Practice/Discipline deliverables and they act as a focal point for the Stantec Project Practice/Discipline Team Members.
- Perform QA/QC and peer review on design packages
- Schedule and coordinate peer reviews of said tasks including, third-party Practice/Discipline quality reviews of deliverables
- Oversee or prepare the development of manhour estimates and proposals.
- Interact extensively with clients, including developing new and maintaining existing relationships.
Your Credentials and Capabilities
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong relationships
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to manage and deliver protection and control engineering deliverables as per project schedule and within budget
- Ability to lead team to meet project timelines for engineering deliverables
- Ability to understand client specific requirements (standards & specifications) and applicable codes & regulations for preparing protection and control packages
- Capable of writing equipment specifications and review vendor drawings
- Experience in P&C system studies, relay setting/calculation/coordination, automation system design using Aspen One-liner, ETAP and SKM
- Proficient with MS Office tools; familiarity with AutoCAD and/or MicroStation
- Able to discern complex data and disseminate practices, policies, procedures and context on project/program development to internal and external clients
- Must foster effective working relationships between colleagues, associates, clients and officials
Accountability & Complexity
- Plans, conducts and directs complex assignments with a high degree of independence
- Assignments/projects are complex in nature and require the application of broad engineering knowledge in multiple disciplines
- Reviews and evaluates technical work of direct reports and other professionals
Leadership & Teamwork
- Mentors technicl staff with varying levels of experience and geographical presence.
- Conduct annual performance reviews for direct reports.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Registered PE or eligible for PE
- Minimum 8 years of consulting engineering and or direct power delivery experience with increasing levels of responsibility for staff, projects and clients.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.