Mission Statement: Develop and maintain electrical equipment as lead member of a global design team. Execute product development and maintenance activities including mechanical and electrical design, analysis, root cause, qualification, and certification. Work as lead team member and apply knowledge and competencies to continuous improvement of research and development (R&D) activities
1. Technical and scientific proficiency and leadership
Demonstrates solid technical proficiency in own competence area by performing a variety of technology/engineering assignments, mainly in research and development (R&D) projects, which demonstrates independent ability to recognize problems and provide input to solutions. Actively follows the scientific discussions in own competence area and contributes independently.
2. Technology direction
Understands the key business drivers for ABB in order to make judgments and contribute to results.
3. Innovation and creativity
Contributes to R&D projects with own, creative ideas. Proposes follow-up projects and activities within own technical area based on new ideas.
4. Projects, processes and tools
As a solid R&D project member and contributor, with experience as project or sub-project leader, ensures alignment with assigned targets (time, cost, quality) and coordinates activities. Demonstrates sound understanding of, and actively applies, R&D processes and tools. Drive compliance with applicable standards. Stays current with tools for design, analysis, and problem solving.
5. R&D context
Maintains awareness of state-of-art technology, as well as ABB products and technologies, and identifies and understands technical drivers for R&D projects in own area. Understands what creates customer value in own R&D
projects and project portfolio of own organization and works to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction according to incoming requests. Provides consulting services to business operations and customers.
6. Knowledge transfer
Participates constructively in working teams. Shares own technical/scientific knowledge in own projects and supports colleagues in applying processes and tools to ensure timely and high quality results. Shows solid documentation skills and writes technical reports independently.
7. Network and visibility
Participates in networks in own area, including relevant Engineering networks, in order to further knowledge in targeted area of expertise.
8. Intellectual property (IP) and risk management
Has a basic understanding of the importance of IP for the ABB business, contributes to IP discussions and develops project clearance reports. Identifies risks in R&D projects.
- Bachelor's degree, or higher in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years experience in development of products
- Experience in manufacturing implementation of new and modified designs
- Experience with product documentation (Windchill experience preferred)
- Experience with product testing, tear down, and root cause analysis
- Knowledge of UL standards for electrical equipment
- Track record executing design projects in teams and individually
Relevant Knowledge, Skills & Expertise:
- UL 50 and UL67 Panelboard Standards - construction and testing
- Design experience with sheet metal, molded parts, busbar
- Experience with electrical panelboards and molded case circuit breakers
- Clear communication skills
- Collaborative approach to design and problem solving