Position Summary & Duties:
The Lead Process Engineer is a direct-hire position working for HGA in the Lake Charles area.
The Lead Process Engineer is considered a subject matter expert on overpressure protection, with proven experience with relief analysis on a wide variety of process equipment and process units.
Additional Process Safety Management (PSM) experience is also a plus. The Lead Process Engineer will work under the supervision and mentoring of the Pressure Relief Program Manager.
The Lead Process Engineer is responsible for providing technical guidance to other Process Engineers and determining the overall approach for analysis when needed. The Lead Process Engineer may direct a team of engineers, data collection technicians, and/or subcontractors.
This role is responsible for the Quality of the relief packages produced by their team. This engineer has in-depth knowledge of standards such as API 520, API 521, API 2000, ASME Sect VIII, ASME Sect I, etc. The Lead Process Engineer in this position will be very proficient in mitigating pressure relief deficiencies in a cost-effective manner and will be familiar with dispersion analysis.
The Lead Process Engineer will also will be able to evaluate complex scenarios – non-Newtonian flow, non-Ideal behavior, potential for chemical reactions, etc., - and able to explain these problems and proposed solutions to the client.
Lead Process Engineers at this level must be capable of taking on diverse tasks and functioning independently at client locations for on-site services.
This position will be based in the Lake Charles, LA area. Regular travel to plant sites located within the greater Lake Charles area is expected. Engineers are paid for all billable hours worked.
Lead Process Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform 100% Quality Review of Relief Valve Sizing Calculation Packages
• Lead Process Engineer will participate in scenario/mitigation review meetings to ensure relevant points are addressed
• Mentor and develop junior engineers
• Lead Process Engineer will troubleshoot process simulations as needed
• Complete sizing reports and project update reports
• Clarify data needs to data collectors and verifiers
• Lead Process Engineer will manage multiple tasks
• Lead Process Engineer will interact with the client on a continual basis
Qualifications: Lead Process Engineer Education and Work Experience:
• BS, or M.S, in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with relevant experience as Lead Engineer
• 5+ years in process safety and overpressure protection, including evaluation of relief devices and effluent handling systems
• Lead Process Engineer should possess experience reading and understanding P&IDs, PFDs, Equipment Data Sheets, Instrument Data Sheets, Piping ISOs, and Pipe Specs.
• Experience working within a chemical processing facility and/or experience with mitigation efforts related to relief device revalidation.
• Lead Process Engineer should have experience with Process Simulation software (Aspen, Hysys, Aspen Flare System Analyzer, Chemcad, ProMax, Pro II, etc.) Experience with Overpressure Analysis software (PS PPM, iPRSM, SuperChems) is a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and MS Office skills are required.