The Lead Plumbing and Fire Protection Engineer works independently on various projects as assigned by a Project Manager or group leader. This individual will play a role in the entire design process including but not limited to preliminary assessments, concept creation, design, problem resolution and customer and vendor accessibility. The Senior Plumbing and Fire Protection Engineer may work on several concurrent projects and at times may assist as a technical expert on a specialized design. Some management responsibility.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assigns and reviews work of project design team. Checks progress of work and alerts Project Manager to change of scope or additional services.
- Attends pre-bid meetings and assists the project team in evaluating commercial proposals. Assesses the requirements of a project, break a project into tasks and work with a Project Manager to determine scope of work, budget and staffing. Write scope of work for plumbing and fire protection designs based on preliminary reviews and meetings with the clients.
- Develops design concepts; prepares documents during design development phase. Corrects and updates design documents. Develops solutions to design problems. Prepare engineering studies and schematic design for new systems and analyze operation of existing systems.
- Uses computer aided design technologies to develop sketches, drawings and construction documents. Reviews drawings and documents to assure compliance with company design and production standards.
- Works with equipment suppliers/vendors to obtain the necessary information needed for design completion. Interacts with clients regularly to secure scope and design intent.
- Ensure acceptable levels of quality and checks for coordination of work to assure documents reflect design intent and necessary coordination. Coordinate all aspects of project document completion within company and externally with clients and other design professionals.
- Coordinates design work with related engineering disciplines. Attend job and construction meetings and participate in the coordination of the work.
- Contributes to annual performance reviews for assigned staff. Assists in the education and development of design staff and act as resource for design questions.
- Special projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Minimum 10 years' of previous Plumbing and Fire Protection Engineering and Design experience.
- Bachelors of Engineering Degree from an accredited University.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE).
- Must have previous experience working for an Architectural and Engineering firm (A&E).
- Must be proficient in the use of computer for design and understand CAD operations.
- Knowledge of all aspects of plumbing and fire protection systems including Sanitary and Vent Systems, Storm Systems, Process Waste Systems, Lab and Vent Systems, Domestic Water Systems, Process and Lab Gas Systems, Sprinkler Design and Wet/Dry/Pre Action Systems. Must be able to produce calculations for the above systems.
- Has a demonstrated ability to manage projects, problem solve, communicate effectively to all key personnel and time manage.
- Able to travel up to 25%.