ExteNet Systems plans, builds, operates and owns an extensive portfolio of neutral-host, multi operator distributed wireless networks (DAS, Small Cell and WIFI) throughout North America which are leased to mobile service providers. ExteNet owns and manages fiber networks, both dark fiber and optical network solutions. ExteNet owns and operates carrier class 24x7x365 network operations centers.
The Global Network Services function within ExteNet Systems has responsibility to commission, monitor, operate and maintain the distributed networks and network assets in our portfolio to carrier grade network availability, performance and security SLAs.
As an integral part of our Network Operations team, the Lead NOC Engineer – Optical Networking is focused on providing support for mission critical services to ensure uninterrupted flow of all data and services for our optical network customers.
- Provide support of wireless networking infrastructure by interfacing directly with customers, customer NOCs, field service partners and OEMs.
- Proactively monitor, resolve applications, remotely configure, manage and troubleshoot the network and central offices for trouble resolution.
- Respond to NOC alerts in a timely manner and initiate network element system/subsystem interaction to restore network service.
- Coordinate trouble resolution with field personnel, Engineering personnel, NOC management team, and vendor support teams.
- Provide high level technical support of Ethernet, IP equipment, DWDM, ROADM, MPLS.
- Make decisions and take actions to preventnetwork interruptions and service degradation. Work chronic issues as defined by management.
- Act as first level escalation point of contact. Assist other technicians with their technical development in the use of monitoring tools, network structure and theory.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, internal and external teams.
- Support the development of standards related to Network Operations processes, tools and best practices.
- Identify, coordinate and document preventive, proactive and corrective maintenance requirements.
- Plan, execute and supervise planned network maintenance projects such as software or hardware upgrades, network expansion and data collection activities.
- Perform troubleshooting, technical support and technical problem resolution.
- Coordination and hands-on management of outage restoration efforts including the organizing and leading of joint outage conference bridges with customer, vendors and partner teams.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex problems, issues, and solutions to customers, vendors, partners and peers.
- Support the development, growth and training of other team members, locally and remotely.
- Coordinating assigned projects and managing to completion.
- Define, create and deploy standardized processes and policies within the organization.
- Define, acquire and interpret metrics to support management in decision making.
- Identify, collect, and report Key metrics to senior leadership.
- Provide incident review and analysis requests to determine root cause and future mitigation.
- Lead vendor cross-functional meetings, reviews and planning sessions.
- Provide training to peers and or Region Operations Technicians.
- Publish support bulletins/job aids.
Supervisory Requirements: None
Education and Experience:
- Ability to work regular on-call (night) shifts to support the 24/7/365 needs of the business
- Demonstrated success with hands-on approach to managing outages and service restorations is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical discipline, and 12+ years in the telecom/data industry or directly related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experiencerequired
- Knowledge and troubleshooting with TDM, SONET/OTN, and WDM technologies.
- Expert knowledge and troubleshooting with Ethernet, Packet switching, and MPLS technologies.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills as this position includes frequent direct customer interfacing, communication and coordination.
- Candidate must be a collaborative team player in our matrix organization, with an open, engaging, inclusive approach to communications and assignments.
- Must be self-motivated, able to work independently and willing to learn.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Scripting automation experience is a plus.
- Proficient with desktop applications and able to utilize a computer for extended periods.
- Must be detail oriented with good organizational and time management skills.
- Must be able to prioritize as needed in a fast-paced working environment, especially when dealing with time sensitive issues and mandated deadlines.
- Conveys a strong sense of urgency, responsiveness, follow-through and successfully manages outcomes.
- Experience with Change Management and escalation methodologies.
- Ability to lead others and delegate responsibilities.