Summary: The person in this position will oversee the development of mine planning & strategies by designing and planning cases that optimize product quality, value and risk, mine fleet requirements, and estimates for capital and operating costs suitable for inclusion into mining studies and life of mine plans.
Essential Job Functions: Include but are not limited to the following:
(Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- Develop and communicate mine plans and strategies to support evaluation and management decision making.
- Communicate and manage significant risk in the development and implementation of the mine plan including geotechnical risk.
- Apply evaluation techniques including risk assessment and value optimization.
- Demonstrate ownership and be the custodian of key mining systems and processes including ventilation design, rock mechanics, exploration, reserve estimation, geologic modeling, mill/conveyor design and process capacity, ground control program, drill and blast design, and production scheduling
- Develop and manage equipment standards for the key mining systems
- Directly manage the work of a group of mining engineers, operations engineers, and engineering technicians.
- Work with other technical disciplines to help develop effective strategic plans, mine plans, and project plans
- Responsible for exploration plans and work including but not limited to; drilling, seismic, and geologic modeling
- Responsible for accurate mineral reserve estimates based off of annual exploration plans
- Responsible for subsidence monitoring, data collection, and modeling updates
- Responsible for the execution of the ground control inspection and monitoring program
- Directly manage the survey support for underground operations
- Work with other technical disciplines and departments to effectively design and execute the backlog of engineering projects
- Supports KPI development, measurement, communication, and continuous improvement utilizing Compass continuous improvement tools
- Manages capital projects as required
- Communicate effectively and transparently with all other departments to maintain role clarity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in mining engineering or other relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years’ experience, with 2 years of management experience with experience in functions managed
- Demonstrate excellent computer, communication and writing skills
- Demonstrate proficiency in key mining system software programs including but not limited to; mine planning, surveying, AutoCAD, ventilation modeling, and mineral processing
- Software experience with Deswik, Carlson, Leica Geosystems, GPS, AutoCAD, VnetPC, and AggFlow a plus
- Underground mining experience highly preferred
- A combination of underground and surface mining experience a plus
- Experience in managing both a salary and hourly workforce a plus
- Experience working with a union workforce a plus