With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9, staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Hatch is seeking a Lead Mechanical Engineer based in our Pittsburgh, PA office. If you are looking for your next step in a progressive career, enjoy working with people in a team environment, and strive for excellence, we want to hear from you.
Lead Mechanical Engineer provides support to the Engineering Manager and is responsible for supervising a team of mechanicalengineering practitioners. The Lead Mechanical Engineer provides leadership and assists in the resolution of technical matters related to the discipline for the project. In addition, the Lead Mechanical Engineer defines and develops the plan to meet the project requirements and supports the team of mechanical practitioners to achieve the expected results in terms of quality, cost and schedule.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the project requirements as they relate to scope, cost and schedule.
- Prepare a list of engineering deliverables and time based functions to facilitate the planning and control of the engineeringbudget.
- Develop the mechanical work plan for insertion into the project specific execution plan.
- Develop and maintain the project’s scope of work documentation and revise as required during the design evolution.
- Manage and review the Engineering Work Packages (EWP) associated with all deliverables and time based functions to ensure that budgets and schedules are being met, and take corrective action if necessary.
- Prepare and maintain a Manpower Forecast List (MFL) that supports the engineeringschedule.
- Review and approve the mechanical and layout design criteria documents.
- Review and approve the mechanicalengineering and design standards.
- Review and approve mechanical technical deliverables (specifications, datasheets, drawings, etc.).
- Assist in the preparation and development of project specific procedures.
- Establish design tools, software, relevant codes and standards to be used on the project.
- Assign work tasks (via approved EWPs) to individuals and continuously monitor progress and quality.
- Represent the mechanical practice in project engineering coordination meetings.
- Schedule, coordinate and participate in mechanical design reviews.
- Ensure coordination, between the mechanical team and other disciplines, of all activities being performed as the design evolves.
- Ensure that quality audits of engineering work are carried out in accordance with project procedures and the quality assurance plan.
- Promote and maintain the application of ethical and professional practices in the execution of mechanicalengineering work.
- Ensure that all work designed, manufactured and supplied in the mechanicalengineering discipline complies with the relevant sections of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
- Ensure that site related activities for the practice relating to mechanical equipment and systems are expedited in accordance with project and plant requirements relating to safety, quality and project delivery requirements.
Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc/B.Eng in mechanicalengineering.
- Registration as a professional engineer with the state or country where the construction will be executed.
- Minimum 10 years project experience with a minimum five years project engineeringexperience.
- Experience working on large or complex projects in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to manage individuals to attain quality, cost and schedule objectives.
- Strong deliverable focus. Ability to plan the work.
- A high degree of understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies related to the discipline.
- Good understanding of procurement, contracting and commissioning methodologies.
- Technical exposure to the equipment technologies related to the project.
- Good understanding of client and Hatch systems and workflows as they relate to the mechanical practice.
- Thorough understanding of client and Hatch HSEC policy and standards.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Well developed communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Able to rapidly understand and assimilate project and client specific requirements.
- Extensive knowledge of Hatch 3D data centric design systems.
- Extensive knowledge of Hatch engineering management systems.
- Strong ability to delegate tasks and promote the effective performance of team members.
- Experience in mentoring young professionals.
- Extensive experience in the use of procedures and workflows in the execution of projects.
- Significant previous experience in engineering planning for the discipline.
- Strong client focus.