General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Mechanical Engineer in our Mechanical Engineering Team working within the Design Engineering Group located in Rancho Bernardo, CA. We are looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer that can lead a system from concept through testing by reviewing top level requirements, creating 3D models, reviewing analysis, leading design reviews, producing and reviewing drawings for fabrication, creating inspection plans, installing systems in the lab or military platform, and performing validation testing.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports engineering and program staff in the analysis, investigation and resolution of engineering problems. Works independently with little supervision.
- Will work on high energy lasers by incorporating mechanical, electro-optical and other various systems.
- Support the transition of technology from a laboratory (R&D) environment to a low risk field testing. This includes transitioning hardware with composite and metallic structures containing optical components from the lab to a military platform (airborne and/or ground vehicle).
- Support requirements flow down to configuration items.
- Create mechanical system specifications for various components that interface with the laser.
- Ability to lead mechanical designs by performing and reviewing 3D CAD in SolidWorks ensuring the design meets the requirements by creating components that are easily manufacturable and cost effective.
- Review analysis in ANSYS including: structural (vibration), thermal, and fluid dynamics.
- Create and review engineering drawings requiring proper GD&T implementation including tolerance stack up.
- Determines technical objectives and develop innovative, practical solutions to advanced technical engineering problems.
- Addresses complex and difficult technical issues requiring highly creative approaches, drawing on advanced engineering concepts.
- Hands on work environment and high level of interaction with system components. Oversee prototype builds and implement lessons learned into design.
- Lead and mentor a small group of less experienced Engineers.
- Interface with systems, electrical, and controls engineering to validate his system by testing.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; fifteen or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, thirteen or more years of experience with a masters degree, or ten or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Experience with random vibration analysis, vibration isolation techniques, FEM structural and thermal analysis is required.
- Must have experience in military products and airborne systems and the ability to lead development through design, analysis, and testing from concept development through deployment.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Experience with structural composites design and analysis is desired.
- Exposure to laboratory environment preferred, including materials characterization, testing, and failure analysis.
- Familiarity with DoD and technology transition to the field is desired.
- Previous experience with optical systems, flight systems, or military systems is desired.
- Experience with CAD, FEA and CFD software such as Pro-E/Creo, Solidworks, ANSYS, Fluent is required.