Brady Corporation is an international manufacturer and marketer of complete solutions that identify and protect people, products and places. Brady’s products help customers increase safety, security, productivity and performance and include high-performance labels, signs, safety devices, printing systems and software. Founded in 1914, the Company has a diverse customer base in electronics, telecommunications, manufacturing, electrical, construction, medical, aerospace and a variety of other industries. Brady is headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and as of July 31, 2021, employed approximately 5,700 people in its worldwide businesses. Brady’s fiscal 2021 sales were approximately $1.14 billion. Brady stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol BRC.
The PDC business is a global leader and innovative manufacturer of identification products, access control, and patient safety solutions serving healthcare, government, education, entertainment, events, hospitality, and other business and non-profit organizations. With an unmatched breadth of identification products, distinctive quality, and service accessibility, PDC is the premier source for solutions that provide superior value and enable organizations to operate with greater efficiency, safety, and regulatory compliance.
Position Reports To: R&D (Research & Development) Engineering Manager
The Lead Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the mechanical developments in the areas of design, documentation, development, schedule and testing of new and existing products by following good engineering practices. The responsibilities include activities and inputs into the design process, product design, manufacturing, and subsequent product support as required. It is expected that this individual demonstrates the ability to apply engineering principles to complex issues. The individual is expected to be a participant in overall mechanical designs. Working in a cross functional team with marketing, manufacturing engineering, electrical engineering, software engineering is essential. The designs produced by this individual and the technical members of the team are to be cost effective and meet the overall product specifications established and meet project goals such as timeline attainment and project budget.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicates with engineering professionals, end users, and management throughout the new product development cycle; represents the company as a prime technical contact on assigned project (s)/program(s); selects, motivates, and develops professional and support staff; interacts with senior internal and external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between the organizations; anticipates future engineering needs; and, develops new or expands existing business opportunities.
- Evaluates the integration of the engineering solution within the overall engineering environment; and responsible for planning/overseeing documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering updates.
- Functioning in an advisory or leadership role participates in the planning and oversight of the successful resolution and implementation of engineering problem(s) and provides direction and guidance to professional and support staff.
- Coordinates with site manufacturing engineers to complete strategic initiatives
- Defines specifications and acceptance testing for the acquisition of new equipment
- Cares deeply about their colleagues and the planet by designing solutions with personal and environmental safety in mind
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Education and/or Experience
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; eight or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, six or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice as well as project and/or program leadership including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established project deadlines or milestones.
- Must possess the ability to contribute to the development of new concepts and principles; resolve unusually complex technical problems; serve as spokesperson on projects and/or programs; and be a technical expert in one or more areas of engineering. Proven track record of delivering on improvement projects by working with cross functional teams
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective leadership interface with other departments, all levels of management, professional and support staff, customers, potential customers, and government representatives.
- Works in close support of the marketing department in the analysis of customer need (VOC) and in the development of product specifications.
- Experience with CAD and FEA software such as Solidworks, AutoCAD or ANSYS is required.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- New product development experience (Desirable but not required)
- Entrepreneurship experience (Desired but not required)
- Working knowledge of a New Product Development Phase Gate Process (Desired but not required)
- Aspiration to travel, network, and immerse with multiple locations and cultures (25%-40% of the time)
- Complete insurance coverage starting on first day of employment -- medical, dental, vision, life
- 401(k) with company match
- Bonus opportunity
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation and Holiday pay