This attorney will be an integral part of MassMutual’s Litigation team, which is responsible for oversight and/or management of all disputes (live and emerging) involving MassMutual and its material subsidiaries. This is an excellent opportunity in MassMutual’s Law Department to work across the entire organization to develop and implement dispute resolution strategies in an effort to effectively and efficiently manage the Company’s risk profile. This attorney will directly interact with clients at all levels from all areas of the organization, which necessarily requires top tier written and verbal communication skills as well as a keen understanding of the various business’ priorities and levels of risk tolerance.
REPORTS TO: Head of Litigation & Legal Operations
- Provide strategic, creative and proactive legal support to all areas of the Company.
- Assist the various businesses with assessment of risk areas with their products, distribution and operations.
- Partner with outside counsel to ensure that disputes are being effectively and efficiently managed to deliver optimal outcomes for the Company, taking numerous considerations into account.
- Gain an understanding and provide strategic counsel with respect to the financial and non-financial impacts of disputes on the business.
- JD from an accredited law school, a member of the Bar in good standing (any state), and the ability to become licensed for in-house practice in Massachusetts (if not currently licensed in Massachusetts).
- Demonstrated academic achievement, intellectual curiosity and problem-solving mindset.
- In-depth understanding and experience (4+ years) at a law firm working on litigation/investigation matters (preference for experience in the financial services sector and/or plaintiff-side experience).
- Superior organizational, interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong client-relationship skills and the ability to consult with and persuade at all levels.
- Committed focus on achieving superior results by working collaboratively as a member of a high performing team.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately prioritize constantly shifting tasks, organize and coordinate work while showing initiative, independence and impeccable judgment.
- Experience using technology and data analytics to assist with workflow management and strategic decision-making.
- A self-starting, business-savvy professional with a willingness to work hard, contribute to all types of projects and commit to continuous learning and improvement.
- Willingness to travel (domestically) as case load requires.
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future.