The Lead IT Engineer is responsible for designing and documenting cloud solutions for deployment within CenturyLink’s products and infrastructure. The position will require the engineer to work closely with CenturyLink Product Management, CenturyLink Operations, vendors and business partners focused on designing solutions that fit within the CenturyLink Cloud business model. An emphasis is placed on delivering automated, scalable, cost effective, reliable, and high performing solutions for use by the CenturyLink customer base.
The Lead IT Engineer position is responsible for understanding the strategic direction, priorities, and needs of CenturyLink and CenturyLink’ customers. With this understanding, they are expected to design and refine virtualization based solutions that meet the needs of CenturyLink customers while aligning with the technological strategy of the company.
The Lead IT Engineer will be seen as a technical mentor within the engineering organization, assisting in the coaching and developing of other team members. The Lead IT engineer will additionally help guide the team to realize efficiencies that can be gained through better project management, inter and intra team communication and engineering design.
The Product Engineering organization works with CenturyLink Operations, Solutions Engineering, Sales, and Software Development to design, test and document virtualization products and solutions. This role provides design/installation/upgrade/migration guidance to infrastructure teams in preparation for future-state product direction. Cloud Product Engineering also works with vendors to research and understand product capabilities and corresponding roadmaps, as well as resolve vendor product issues. The Lead IT Engineer will:
- Be self-motivated and driven to define and complete deliverables
- Be comfortable coordinating resources in a cross functional team environment
- Have strong verbal and written communications skills
- Have the ability to adapt to rapidly changing technology and project focus
- Be comfortable addressing clients and executive level staff
Required Technical Experience
- Minimum 10 years work related experience
- Proven mastery of VMware 5.x/6.x virtualization technologies and platform architecture
- Knowledge of and experience with running SAP workloads as virtualized workloads on VMware platforms.
- Proven master of Windows or Linux (RHEL/SUSE) technologies
- A deep understanding of OS and hypervisor security and hardening methodologies
- A deep understanding of storage, network, and hardware technologies
- Scripting/automation expertise using PowerCLI, Python, shell-scripting, Ansible, or Chef
- Systems performance tuning and load testing
- Minimum 8years of experience designing complex datacenter solutions
- Proven analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills with superior oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage projects in a fast paced development environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead complex and dynamic projects
- Previous technical leadership experience
- Desired Technical Experience
- Working knowledge of vRealize Operations Manager, NSX, VSAN, vCloud Director, SAP HANA, Solution Manager
- Server monitoring and performance measurement, including SNMP and related protocols
- SAN technologies, such as fiber channel switching and large-scale storage arrays
- 6+ years of relevant work experience in the Service Provider space
- Experience with designing cloud platforms to run large VM workloads like SAP HANA.
- Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or Computer Science preferred
- Professional Certifications, such as Microsoft Certified IT Professional , Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE), VMware Certified Professional (VCP), are a plus