Are you self-motivated? Results-driven? Do you want to be leading a team that’s building out a world-class e-commerce experience? Yes?! Then we want to talk to you. Here at FIGS, we are building and growing our fledgling e-commerce platform. We are looking for an exceptional engineer who can help us architect and prioritize frontend work on our E-Commerce Squad. You will be working with our Product Management and Backend Teams to help prioritize new site features, plan and scope out frontend platform improvements, and generally maintain the health of our frontend code base.
This role is a technical leadership role and does not have direct report responsibilities, though engineering management is a path forward from it. You should expect roughly half your time to be dedicated to individual contribution (i.e, writing code), and the other half dedicated to helping engineers and product management with requirements gathering, project planning, and reviewing code. Our current front-end experience is a server-side rendered Next.js React site built with Typescript, GraphQL, Styled Components, and React 16. We use Shopify to manage our shopping cart and checkout process, and have a mandate to grow on top of and beyond it as we need to. Our backend services are a mix of Typescript on Node and Ruby on Rails. You can of course help contribute to some of them as you need to. While our base stack is evolving there is still plenty of room for it to grow. Want to introduce react-spring for better animations? Let's debate. Want to implement a PWA architecture to help us cache data client-side? Let's explore. Want to re-write our site’s build process in Haskell? No, we have limits.
Does this sound interesting? Keep reading.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work as an engineer on projects with a small team or alone as we grow
- Own the frontend platform backlog and work with Product Management to prioritize the engineering work needed to keep our platform fast, organized, and a joy to work in
- Partner with our Product, Design, and Backend Engineering teams to:
- Help plan and prioritize our various projects
- Own the frontend platform backlog and work with engineering leadership to prioritize work that keeps our platform fast, organized, and a joy to work in
- Build customer-facing front-end applications and features to help our customers better use our site
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience or education.
- 5+ years professionally working on front-end applications.
- Strong computer science fundamentals.
- A preference for TDD-style development over YDD (YOLO driven development).
- Extensive experience with Vanilla™
- A commanding knowledge of HTML, CSS, and building rich user experiences with them. (e.g., What’s the box model?)
- Prior experience with SPA frameworks like React, Vue, Ember, or Angular.
- Experience using Node.js in a production environment.
- Experience working with statically-typed languages like Typescript.
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations.
- Awareness of common web security vulnerabilities and how to avoid them.
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Experience with building and maintaining traditional Shopify sites and experience working on Shopify Apps and Themes.
- Experience setting up CI/CD build processes and pipelines.
- Familiarity with server-side MVC web application frameworks, like Next.js, Ruby on Rails or Django.
- Familiarity with DevOps technologies like Docker, Vagrant, Terraform and Kubernetes.
OTHER MUST HAVES:
- Desire to learn: we are not looking for specific experience with our tech stack—just the willingness and sufficient experience (with an equivalent stack) to pick it up fast.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Collaboration: we work in small cross-functional teams and as individual engineers. We are not afraid of challenges and working together to tackle them.
- Positive attitude: we are self-starters who love to solve problems with technologies
- A strong work ethic, with integrity and entrepreneurial mindset.