Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position:
Lead cross-functional engineering teams that design and develop equipment and machines that enable new manufacturing technologies. Work starts at concept generation and moves through concept test, detail design / build, system integration, debug, start-up and process development. Settings are R&D labs and/or pilot operations.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Work with project team members to solve difficult mechanicalengineering and equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop basic understanding of process and equipment design requirements.
• Develop scope, schedule and budget for project responsibilities. Track progress against schedule and scope.
• Define and document machine design specifications, develop mechanical design concepts, design and follow construction of equipment, and make appropriate engineering recommendations.
• Work with process engineering teams appropriate proof of concept and prototype testing to validate design concept.
• Work with external machine builders, system integrators, and suppliers to specify and successfully deliver assigned areas of responsibility to overall project team on-time, on-budget, and in satisfaction of process performance measures.
• Assure appropriate generation of construction drawings, installation drawings, and ensure that final drawing packages reflect as-built conditions and satisfy Corning drawing standards.
• Coordinate and direct the installation of machine systems and services. Actively participate in system integration, debug, and start-up.
• Report on project activities, status, and issues on a periodic basis to project & department leadership.
• Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, work within Corning standards, and Corning processes with minimal supervision.
Travel Requirements: Minimal Travel, primarily for vendor evaluation, vendor interface, training, etc.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8-5, M-F. Schedule may be dependent on project needs at any given time
Required Education: BSME w/ 10+ years related experience
• High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position. Interest and ability to learn, develop, and advance technical skills in mechanical design, process equipment development, process gas delivery, mechanical services, and system integration.
• Fundamental understanding of mechanical design practices, equipment fabrication and assembly, and mechanical systems troubleshooting.
• Ability to use experimentation to develop basic process knowledge, design prototype test systems, and perform proof of principle testing to validate design approach.
• Demonstrated skills in 2-D and 3-D CAD (Solidworks) and, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
• Ability to work in a team-based environment and contribute to a highly matrixed project team.
• Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
• Understanding of ultra-high precision design concepts and metrology.
• Understanding of general financial concepts re: how budgets work, capital vs. expense, AR process, etc. Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Communications – Comfortable communicating with all levels of an organization.
• Team player
• Comfortable with ambiguity
• Desire to learn and try new things
Req #: 1422