Job ID: COR00003O
Description: Lead Enterprise Strategic PlannerPRIMARY FUNCTIONThe Strategic Planning Engagement team is responsible for driving conversations through the strategic planning process for the Leadership Team and the Enterprise. Though the team’s enterprise planning process, the team must successfully build a strategic portfolio of initiatives – in support of the company’s long range plans – by connecting Target’s strategic vision, capabilities and future market opportunities. Success will be measured by the ability to shepherd Target’s strategic direction across the enterprise, setting near and long-term tactics that will realize the company’s consumer, operational, and financial aspirations. The Lead Enterprise Strategic Planner, as part of the Strategic Planning Engagement team, will be responsible for a select set of outputs to collectively – alongside the rest of the team – deliver on the team’s objectives.KEY OBJECTIVESThe candidate will beresponsiblefor delivering one or more of the below key objectives:
- (Process) Lead the annual enterprise strategic planning process to develop a multi-horizon portfolio of strategic initiatives (including company’s Strategic Roadmap) in support of Target’s long range financial plan.
- (Engagement) Develop and lead continuous calendar of strategic engagements with the Leadership Team, integrating intelligence and planning, to drive strategic decisions and future focus.
- (Engagement) Ensure enterprise alignment with company’s strategic direction, including business strategy cascade and enterprise Strategic Roadmap rollout.
- (Portfolio governance) Collaborate with stakeholders to develop measurable and specific outcomes for strategic goals and portfolio of initiatives. Help govern, alongside relevant operational and functional partners, portfolio against developed outcomes.
- (G&I ToT) Lead the Growth & Innovation Team of Teams, owning the team’s charter, participants, and cadence; work with S&I pyramid and business partners to drive Leadership Team’s strategic growth agenda.
- (S&I Op Model) Coordinate across the S&I pyramid to ensure alignment across content and agenda.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESThe candidate will beresponsible for one or more of the below principal duties andresponsibilities:
- Lead strategic planning process for Target’s Leadership Team, integrated with functional and business timelines and processes.
- Develop content to drive strategic conversations with the Leadership Team as part of the strategic planning process.
- Develop multi-horizon strategic portfolio of initiatives to support Target’s long range financial plan.
- Build Target’s Strategic Roadmap for distribution to company’s 300k+ TMs.
- Integrate into enterprise and business communication and planning processes to ensure consistent understanding, messaging, and content alignment.
- Connect strategy to disciplined process of operational initiatives through an integrated enterprise management system (in partnership with broader S&I, relevant functions, cross functional teams and business leaders).
- Lead ongoing strategic portfolio assessment based on outcomes, as well as internal and external market intelligence.
- Define and drive agenda for Growth and Innovation Team of Teams Leadership Team meetings.
- Coordinate conversations across S&I to focus themed and connected conversations across venues.
- Pro-actively align and secure commitment of key Level 8+ partners within and across pyramids and teams (Finance, AIM, Marketing, HR, Comms, Pyramid Planners, PMOs) to execute work.
- Work closely with other S&I functions to develop content, maintain focus, and gain alignment across organization.
- Maintain deep understanding of external trends and best practices within scope of work.
KEY RELATIONSHIPSThe candidate will beresponsiblefor maintaining all of the following relationships:
- Reports to Director Strategic Planning and Portfolio Management.
- Deep working relationships with rest of Enterprise Strategic Intelligence and Planning team, rest of S&I teams (Enterprise Strategy Development, New Ventures and Accelerators, Business Development), Strategic Finance, Operational Excellence.
- Maintain key relationships with Guest Center of Excellence, Merchandising, Marketing, Stores, Digital.
- Other relationships as dictated by role, including, but not limited to, strategic portfolio/ initiative owners and enterprise engagement teams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIESThe candidate will beresponsible for having (or quickly learning) and maintaining best-in-class capabilities in the following:
- Rigorous and integrated execution of corporate strategic planning and portfolio management.
- Different approaches – from internal and external sources – to corporate strategic planning and portfolio management, including when to apply each.
- Intimate understanding of Target’s enterprise, functional, and business processes, especially (but not limited to) as they intersect with enterprise strategic planning.
- Deep understanding of the Target brand and culture, including deep empathy for Target’s 300k+ TMs.
- Diverse and rigorous problem solving toolkit, inclusive of analytical, conceptual, and design thinking
- Ability to quickly establish through leadership-driven trust and credibility with leaders across all levels within Target.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including through storytelling, succinct presentations, and thoughtful questioning.
- Ability to work through ambiguity with limited direction.
- Understanding and application of diverse set of engagement tools, inclusive of presentation, immersion, and co-creation
- General understanding of the strategy development process, innovation tools, and business development.
- Broad understanding of competitive actions and strategies, as well as market trends.
JOB REQUIREMENTSThe candidatemust hold all of the following job requirements:
- 4-year college degree with minimum 5years of experience driving strategic business decisions; MBA degree with one to three years of post-MBA work experience highly desired
- Prior experience in engagement/ project leadership with a top management consulting firm or in a Fortune 100-level corporate strategy group; otherwise must demonstrate through external accomplishments an exceptional track record in the retail or CPG industry
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual problem-solving skills and ability to synthesize and clearly communicate complex findings to focus on critical issues and actionable opportunities
- Ability to work both independently and lead cross-functional teams
- Ability to assimilate information quickly and to learn/ follow a systematic approach to strategic problem solving: define/ reframe key questions, develop hypotheses, structure quantitative and qualitative analyses to develop insights, formulate well-founded recommendations, and communicate recommendations to leaders at all levels of the organization, including senior executives
- Demonstrated success working closely with senior executive leaders, including influencing without authority
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with a strong ability to tell compelling business and result stories
- Innate curiosity and desire to learn with a strong inclination to drive for results in ambiguous spaces