What you'll do:
As a Lead Engineer on the Actuarial Modernization Program, you'll be joining an exciting team tasked with transforming the way people, process, and technology solve for some of the most critical work to drive our business. We are looking for an individual with an engineering mindset who is passionate about solving business problems through a variety of technical solutions. If you thrive in a creative, innovative, and challenging environment, this job may be for you!
Here are few examples of the kinds of things you'll do:
- Create, Integrate, and Automate business solutions within the Actuarial and Finance ecosystem with a heavy emphasis on Data Management and Advanced Analytics.
- Partner with key stakeholders from the actuarial and accounting communities as well as Industry Consultants to learn about key business and technical challenges and recommend technical solutions.
- Leverage modern software engineering processes to solve complex problems and enable productivity and business outcomes.
- Lead a highly technical team to build out robust solutions and champion the solution delivery process.
- Help to establish a new and effective partnership between the Actuarial and Technology communities at Principal.
This position is also a great way to advance your career. As a growing company with over 14,000 employees around the world, Principal offers a lot of ways for you to learn more, earn more and achieve more. That's one reason Principal has been on Computerworld's list of 100 Best Places to Work in IT for 17 straight years.
What you'll get from us:
- Competitive pay, benefits, perks and more. We'll reward you for the skills and experience you bring to the table. Find out more.
- A great place to live, work and play. Greater Des Moines is one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the country. Given its vibrant and welcoming culture, it's no wonder Des Moines has garnered so much national recognition—including #1 Best Affordable Place to Live (U.S. News & World Report, 2017).
- Respect for your unique perspective. Diversity, inclusion and empowerment are at the core of our culture.
- A career, not just a job. Principal is a place where you can learn and innovate. Do important work. Make an impact. And achieve your professional goals.
- The ability to have a great job and a great life. Sure, work is important. But so is your family. And your friends. And your community. That's why we provide the flexibility you need to find the right balance between your job and the rest of your life.
We're looking for someone with:
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree in a science, technology, engineering, or math related field or equivalent work experience (6 years of experience equates to an Associate's degree when defining "equivalent work experience")
- 6+ years of data and/or software engineering experience, especially with designing system integrations with PaaS/SaaS business solutions
- Experience with Functional or Object-Oriented programming
- Experience designing complex, data processing systems
- Leadership or mentorship experience
- Exposure to a paired programming/mobbing development technique
Additional preferred technical experience:
- Experience with Data Pipeline Design
- Agile coaching/enthusiast background
- Cloud experience (Azure)