The primary function is modeling and developing the next generation powerdistribution systemarchitecture. The selected engineer will be a member of the Integrated Energy Solutions (IES) group within the Corporate Research &Technology (CRT) Power SystemsTechnologies (PST),reporting to theTechnology Manager. Eaton’s Corporate Research andTechnology (CRT) is a global research business and has an exciting and rewarding position for a Power System Engineer seeking a challenging career in PowerDistribution Design and Energy Management to develop Integrated Energy Solutions. Eaton employs about10,000 engineers in various disciplines and the Corporate Research andTechnology engineers initiate and lead innovation programssupporting this large team of engineers. This position enables the person hired to develop newtechnologies, improve existing products, acquireinternal and external funding, lead discussions with national labs and customertechnology leaders, present ideas and projects to Eaton business leaders and CRT leadership. A good blend of technical knowledge and strong lab skills isdesired to be successful in this role. The selected candidate will beworking withengineering teams co-located at NREL in Golden Colorado and located globally. Primary Functions:
- Create innovative power distribution and energy management concepts/prototypes and model based solutions based on breakthrough technologies, as a technical leader and as a team member.
- Work withinternal teams or lead technology development projects teaming with local and remote resources, Business’ advanced engineering groups, Universities, National Laboratories, and Utility Customers.
- Support advancing state of the art automation, protection & control system architectures for power distribution systems, as well as identifying and developing commercialization opportunities with substantial growth potentials for diverse Eaton businesses.
- Support simulation and modeling HIL systems, software implementation, prototype development, and testing of TRL 4, 5, 6 hardware.
- Start-of-the-art modeling, simulation, and analysis based power system research related to power distribution and energy management.
- Support the development of advanced algorithms, software solutions, communication networks, and tools for distribution system design, planning and operation.
- Lead or support global technology programs utilizing Eaton’s internal ProLaunch and AgileStartsTM processes including Gate Reviews, Technology Reviews, and Project Reviews.
- Lead and supporttechnology development projects and work with global teams and external resources (Business Divisions, Universities, National Laboratories, and Customers).
- Create project plans, manage budgets and resources, and deliver results on budget and schedule.
- Identify, initiate and manage projects with universities and research institutes.
- Support building global organizational capabilities in power systems and energy management.
- Master’s Degree in Power Systems and Control or related field from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 3years of highly relevant industry experience
- Minimum of 3year of experience in power system analysis
PreferredQualifications (notrequiredto be qualified for position)
- PhD degree in Power Systems and Control
- Experience in traditional power system analysis (load flow, dynamic, and transient simulation) using tools like CYME
- Experience of modeling of distribution systems / networks as well as distributed energy resources (DER) in PSCAD, MATLAB Simulink, etc.
- Simulation experience with CYMDIST, openDSS, Simulink
- Experience with technology readiness level (TRL 3-6) projects.
- Experience with microgrid planning and operation.
- Experience in project based development (including lean software development) and work in matrixed organization.
- Excellent English communication (oral and written) and presentation skills.
- Familiar with distribution system planning studies (e.g., Distributed Resource Planning)
- Familiar with IEEE and IEC standards (e.g., IEEE 1547) and utility reliability standards (e.g., SAIFI, SAIDI, CAIDI)
- Strong coding capability using Python, Matlab, C, C++
- Business acumen with proven record of formulating value proposition and creating intellectual property.
- Proven track record in taking technologies from concepts to validated product applications.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Requisition ID: 046884