This position is responsible to lead the design, development and testing of all aspects of complicated electro/mechanical components, systems and equipment including new and existing products. Responsible for coaching, mentoring and training other engineers on mechanical design concepts, analytics, manufacturing techniques and materials including manufacturing processes and detailed tolerance analysis. Responsible for researching, recommending and implementing new design tools and processes for the Engineering department.
- Lead design efforts for Leviton's Commercial and Industrial product development activities. The candidate will be responsible for identifying, developing and delivering innovative and practical solutions in alignment with the product development road map and product requirements.
- Lead efforts in creation of specifications, design, and test methods for the new products.
- Complete the product design, analysis and development of mechanical components, systems and equipment, including assembly and part drawings as well as other required documentation from design concept to manufacturing release; develop electronic help files pertaining to new products
- Provide competitive benchmarking data and information by best of breed analysis, testing and research
- Train and mentor other engineers, manage one or more projects
- Interface with manufacturing on an ongoing basis during the development stages to ensure manufacturability and design intent of the product.
- Research new development technologies, make recommendations to Management and oversee implementation
- Develop multiple design concepts and present to peers for feedback and critique; work with Document Control to create a document package that specifies the complete design and implementation of a product, including, but not limited to: 2-D drawings, Bills of Materials and Engineering Change Orders; responsible for implementing documentation updates and changes to existing products
- Assure system and product quality by designing testing methods; Test finished product and system capabilities; confirm fabrication, assembly, and installation processes; generate testing and validation plans for designs and execute on them
- Analyze current designs and products for improvements and / or troubleshooting
- Research various mechanical engineering issues including parts and processes
- Verify that design and project objectives meet customer and Leviton requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering required; MS Preferred
- 10 + years' of Senior level Mechanical Engineering experience
- Extensive experience in mechanical design concepts and the manufacture of products utilizing high volume, automated manufacturing processes as well as manual assembly
- Extensive experience in 3D CAD and drafting, Solid Works preferred
- Experience working in structured Phase Gate product development and technology development processes
- Experience with PC Board and electronics packaging preferred
- Experience with regulatory compliance and validation testing methods
- Experience in consumer product design or Electro-mechanical device design
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to understand and apply FEA, FMEA and customer input to product design and development
- Strong leadership/management skills working with outside design resources including experience managing budgets, timelines, design scope and manufacturing activities.
- Knowledge of the most advanced drafting terminology and symbols (GD&T)
- Well versed in design, prototyping, and evaluation of injection molded plastic, metal stampings, die castings, forging, sheet metal fabrication and material selection
- Solution oriented and thinks creatively to design and develop complex mechanical components, systems, and equipment
- Ability to communicate ideas and knowledge (upward and downward) to other individuals and teams both in writing and verbally
- Ability to exercise independent judgment with minimal instructions and guidance
- Ability to use engineering economic analysis for decision making purposes
- Up to 15%, including some international travel required.