Eaton Corporation has an opening for a Lead Embedded Software Engineer on the Industrial Sector Software and Controls Center of Excellence (CoE) team. The primary function of this role is to develop products that fulfill customer, manufacturing, service and regulatory requirements and provide leadership/mentorship to a global software development team during all phases of the product development from requirements gathering to product launch. This role is responsible for tracking quality measurements relating to software design and delivery and will use that knowledge to develop plans for continuous improvement. The essential functions of this role include but are not limited to:
- Evaluate and define requirements in cooperation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with a multi-discipline team to define the requirements interfaces between hardware components, microcontrollers and software, and the operational performance requirements of the integrated system.
- Collaborate with controls engineers to define functional allocation and the interfaces between software and model based control algorithms.
- Develop the high level architecture through functional analysis and allocation of requirements, concept development and selection.
- Work closely with the software development and software verification & validation team to select the development and testing methodology and tools that meet the system and software requirements and comply with the enterprise and industry level processes and standards.
- Work closely with the software verification & validation team to develop software - hardware integration plans. Use SiL, MiL and HiL methods and tools as applicable for system validation and integration testing.
- Develop, deploy, and continually improve software processes and architectures, based on applicable standards and methodologies.
- Lead a medium size global software team in the design, implementation, testing and maintenance of embedded software.
- Own the project software development deliverables and development from conceptual design to production.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to the development team during design, development, testing and validation of software.
- Lead technical reviews of the software to support development process and ensure technical integrity of software deliverables
- Participate in end-product development activities by contributing ideas, concerns, risk analysis and mitigation as required.
- Participates in end-product design reviews associated with each product development phase including system level reviews and FMEA’s
- Participate in end-product team meetings to communicate software development status.
- Lead one or two large size projects or several small to medium sized projects by defining scope and dependencies, providing work estimates, and creating a plan/ schedule. Additionally to the internal engineering resources, the team may include contingent resources, external partners and consultant organizations.
- Create software work break down structures for specific projects and assign to team members for development. Work closely with the development team to ensure that tasks are further decomposed, properly assigned, verified and closed.
- Conduct risk assessments on software development and create mitigation plans.
- Assist the organization with scoping, identification of project deliverables, and creation of project-specific documentation such as engineering management plans, configuration management plans, requirements management plans, etc.
- Assist product development teams by preparing and presenting required information at business reviews
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum 3years of experience with full life cycle development of embedded software.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50 mile radius of the work location will be considered
- This position requires us of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. “Green Card Holder”), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Master’s degree in Engineering (Electrical, Computer, Software, Mechatronics) from an accredited institution
- Knowledge of Matlab/Simulink for algorithm definition and software engineering.
- Experience with auto-coding methodologies and technologies.
- Knowledge of data security and encryption methods.
- Knowledge of functional safety and development processes compliant to safety standards (ex. IEC 61508).
- Knowledge of UML modeling tools.
- Background in electro-hydraulics or industrial automation.
- Experience with various microcontrollers architectures, C programming language and embedded software tools.
- Experience with CAN communications interfaces and tools.
- Experience with Ethernet and wireless communications.
- Experience modeling software architecture in terms of components and interfaces with particular emphasis on code re-usability and maintainability.
- Experience with various software development methodologies and tools (agile, iterative, waterfall, etc.).
- Experience with processes and tools for requirements management, change and configuration management.
- Experience with software test methodologies and tools and development of test plans for embedded systems.
- Experience integrating and validating performance of electro-mechanical systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English with ability to clearly convey project status and timelines to senior leadership
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to make presentations and work in group settings.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work with geographically dispersed teams and a diverse cultural environment.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: HYD Hydraulics Group
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Requisition ID: 042167