RAND is currently recruiting for a talented lead designer to join our team and drive digital projects from concept to completion. As a lead designer, you should excel at creating innovative design solutions that tell clear, concise stories about complex subject matter. This will require the ability to think both creatively and critically—to quickly find the signal in the noise and work with a team of researchers and communications professionals to amplify it. You should be versatile and expect to lead throughout a project's lifecycle, including requirements gathering, concept development, project management, prototyping, and production.
This position is part of the Office of External Affairs, which works to promote RAND's public policy research to diverse audiences. You will collaborate with colleagues to produce digital articles and essays, data visualizations, interactives, and apps. As a part of this process, you will analyze research and datasets, find compelling narratives within them, validate your approach, and implement the final product. Additionally, you will lead project teams, track milestones, mentor staff, and delegate work as needed.
Qualified candidates will be expected to share references and a relevant portfolio of work that speaks to conceptual skills, design thinking, and teamwork in a digital-first environment.
- Experience with large, high-traffic sites and content management systems
- Expert with Adobe Creative Suite and prototyping tools like Sketch or UXPin
- Experience with brainstorming and storyboarding as part of a team
- Expert in design principles, typography, web standards, and usability
- Experience with UI/UX design
- Ability to take complex concepts and break them down visually and interactively
- Self-starter with excellent project management, organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills
- Experience in leading digital projects and mentoring staff
- A genuine interest in the latest design trends and technological developments in the industry
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to accomplish tasks, problem solve, and explore new ideas; enjoys and thrives with challenges
- Effective and clear communicator, in writing and orally, both in one-on-one and in group presentation situations
- Experience in communicating and enforcing brand standards guidelines
BA/BS (design, communications, marketing, HCI, or related field preferred)
Minimum of 7 years of related design experience with a minimum of 4 years digital project experience.