Checkout 51 is looking for a Lead Developer for our B2B digital incentive network, Freedom! Your primary mission is to help increase the development velocity of your team through coaching, mentorship, and of course, writing high quality code.
As a lead developer, your primary mission is to help increase the development velocity of your team through coaching, mentorship, and of course, writing high quality code. You have the technical knowledge and experience of a senior developer or architect, and you love to share what you know with your teammates and see them apply it in their day-to-day work. You’ll primarily be working within our existing technology stack, however, you will be counted on to identify opportunities to improve what we have and introduce new approaches and technologies to the team. You can expect to interface with product owners, engineering managers, and business stakeholders in an agile environment.
About our technology stack:
- We use many of the AWS products (ex: ec2, lambda, s3, rds, aurora, elasticache, redis, memcached, data pipelines, redshift, beanstalk, ecs)
- We primarily use PHP but have some node.js and java components as well.
- We’ve transitioned from a monolithic app to microservices with more work to be done.
- We’re using React for our platform admin UI
- We use several tools to help us everyday - Git, Jira, VS Code, New Relic, Cloud Watch, etc
You'll be responsible for:
- Enhancing the Freedom API and Admin tools with new features and functionality
- Writing code that will scale with our growing user base and data stores
- Writing tests and performing code reviews to ensure that we’re shipping reliable, readable, and reusable code on a daily basis
- Coaching the team on software design principles including object oriented design principles and Domain Driven Design
- Identifying technical debt and devising strategies to manage and remediate it
- Identifying design patterns that improve the maintainability of our code base, and refactoring code towards those patterns
- Helping the team improve their refactoring and unit testing skills
- Working with our Scrum Master and Product Owners to improve our agile planning practices such as estimation, story writing and story splitting
- Working with other Engineering leaders at Checkout 51 and our parent company, News America Marketing, to improve our software development practice as a whole
What we're looking for:
- Hands on experience with the LAMP stack, React JS and Amazon Web Services.
- The ability to explain complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Adept at writing unit and functional tests for your code (TDD or otherwise).
- Source control (Git) is second nature to you
- An excellent understanding of object-oriented design, and knowledge of how to apply design patterns in the code that you write.
- You think at scale and can talk about large-scale applications you’ve worked on
- Comfortable working with web front-end technology (HTML, CSS, JS).
- Know your way around the command line (we use Macs and Ubuntu servers)
- You want to take ownership of what you work on. You’re ready to explain it to your colleagues and support it in production.
- You love building software as much as you love helping your co-workers become stronger developers
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Bonus points if you:
- Are strong with Java
- Are strong with React.js
- Have worked with Vagrant and/or Chef
- Love automating, optimizing and making things faster
- Have a sense of humour! Feel like you’re a HTML / CSS / JS pro