Lead Designer, Co - op Cycles
8 - 10 years experience •
What's cool about this job
The Co-op Cycles Lead Industrial Designer will direct and support Design initiatives within a product team, this will include bicycle frames and equipment, in conjunction with component selection.This Designer is detail oriented with an elevated sense of Design, and has extensive experience bringing products successfully from concept all the way through to production. A great collaborator and creative problem solver, this designer thrives while working collaboratively within a cross-functional team of Product Strategy, Design Engineers, Developers, Graphic & Color Designers, & Merchandising, whilst partnering with external vendor partners to innovate, and deliver industry-leading products that perform to the highest quality standards, serving as the physical manifestation of the REI Co-op Brand through the lens of Co-op Cycles.
- Exceptional Portfolio, demonstrating examples of products created from concept to production, and with successful introduction to market
- Excellent sketching & ideation skills, with superior visual communication and presentation abilities
- Proficiency with 3d CAD software & surface modelling, such as Rhino & Solid Works, is a must.
- Proficiency with 2d & 3d rendering software to quickly create photo realistic imagery (Photoshop, Illustrator, Keyshot)
- Strong model making skills: ability to quickly mock-up concepts, prototypes, from concept to finished appearance models
- Self-motivated, with strong problem-solving skills, a keen design sensibility, and a high attention to detail
- Highly organized: Ability to deliver top quality work in a fast-paced, open team environment, while working on multiple projects in varying levels of development.
- Flexibility: Able to work on projects that may change scope or parameters and still meet deadlines.
- Strong communication (both written and oral)
- Innate ability to connect with REI members; must be knowledgeable and acutely aware of emerging trends in design, technologies, and demographic, market & consumer research.
- Demonstrated passion for cycling and Outdoor activity of any sort (work related, or personal passion)
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Fosters a culture of creativity, design excellence, accountability and results.
- Occasional International & Domestic travelrequired
Bring your passion and expertise
- BFA or BSID from accredited Industrial Design program
- 7+ years experience in product design and/or industrial design-related field
- 3+ years of experience in the Bicycle industry is strongly preferred
- Proficient knowledge of manufacturing processes and associated costing for metals, composites, plastics and more (including machining, forging, molding for composites, injection molding, 3d printing, etc.)
- Proficient knowledge of branding and how to lead the creation of products that connect with customers, and are representative of their respective brand and/or category
- Candidate must be self-driven, exceptional at collaboration, and have demonstrated experience leading projects from concept to production, and integrating Industrial Design initiatives within a cross-functional product development process.