American National is seeking a DB2 Database Analyst at the Galveston, TX location. The DB2 Database Analyst is responsible for the administration of the data base management subsystems that reside on the mainframe and Linux platforms. These data base management systems include all variations of DB2 as well as IMS.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Assist in the analysis and design of logical and physical data base structures including conceptual design, data modeling, and physical implementation
- Consult with Application Development and Computing Division personnel on data base application performance, tuning, and debugging
- Assist with the design and implementation of procedures to ensure recoverability of corporate data resources
- Assist with the installation, maintenance, and administration of data base related software utilities and tools
- Maintain multi-tier data base environments including object migrations between those tiers
- Perform data base maintenance/tuning and monitor performance to ensure that response meets or exceeds expectations
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to the data base environment
- Participates in Rotating on-call after hours support
Education and Technical Requirements:
- College degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in Database or application programming, with two of those being directly related to the development of data base application
- Working understanding of data analysis, modeling, and data base design methods and techniques.
- Competent in basic data base administration tasks including the definition/alteration of data base objects, utility processing, security, backup/recovery, and performance and tuning.
- Experience with DB2 for z/OS
- Proficient in both written and oral communications skills.
Preferred Technical Criteria
- Knowledge of DB2 LUW and the Linux operating system is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of SAP
- Knowledge of IMS
Required Behavioral Attributes:
- Must be self-motivated, team-oriented and able to operate with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask effectively in a fast paced environment
- Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Creativity in proactively developing approaches to problems, recommending actions and implementing those recommendations