Lead Database Administrator
8 - 10 years experience • Education
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: Reporting toAssociate Director of Platform Administration, the Lead Database Administrator will contribute & lead other team members in the day-to-day management and assigned tasks/goals. Serve as the subject matter expert & technical key contributor to the daily support of Yale’s managedDatabase Platforms. Utilizing technical expertise to achieve quarterly team goals, deliver projects in a quality manner, and assist the senior technology leaders to grow and develop team members.
This position will help shape the department's future database vision from setting and adherence of database standards and policies to automation efforts for deployment and monitoring. Lead the DBA team in the daily support of our supported Database Platforms (SQL Server/Oracle). Work as part of a team of database administrators to ensure performance, reliability and security in a dynamic 24-7-365 production data center/cloud hybrid environment. Prioritize and manage concurrent projects, demonstrate initiative and work independently with minimal supervision. Drive results and leverage previous experiences to improve the environment and related processes. Foster a spirit of teamwork, coach and mentor staff and empower employees to take responsibility. Stay current on technology and industry standards; work with leadership to develop strategic plans and roadmaps. Help ensure that systems design strategies meet the current and future needs of the University. Prepare documentation and presentations (procedural, planning, informational), to supportDatabase Administration. Work closely with technical owners of applications to plan, standardize, and automate functions. Provide performance tuning, capacity planning, disaster recovery planning, and automation guidance for systems and applications. Participate in cross-functional technical projects that require foundational platform as a component of the solution. Perform off-shift work and participate in rotating on-call coverage.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in a related field and five years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong technical skills in one or all SQL Server 2012, 2014, & 2016. Technical abilities with high availability of SQL server databases & "Always ON" feature. Production supportexperience should include support of 2 more of the following: SSIS, replication, database mirroring, SQL Reporting & Analytic Services.
- Strong technical skills designing, building, installing, configuring & supporting database servers using Oracle Database11g or higher on Linux. Strong working knowledge in 2 or more of the following: Linux, UNIX shell, PowerShell, & TSQL scripting. Expertise in Windows Operating systems.
- Proven analytical & creative problem-solving skills. Proven ability to work on complex projects both independently and as the team lead. Demonstrated ability to develop and document complex procedures.
- Excellent oral, written communication, organizational and presentation skills. Proven customer service skills. Proven ability in leading technical teams and strong project management skills.
- Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: BA in a relevant technical field. 8-10 years of related technical experience. Ability to anticipate hardware requirements/storage capacity planning for development, testing, QA & production for growth & performance. Ability with Oracle RMAN & OEM monitoring. Experience in an educational environment and/or an environment where compliance with HIPAA or other regulatory controls are in use.
Application: and immediate consideration, pleaseapply online at . Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.