The Lead - Data Scientist will oversee the Advanced Analytics strategy for internal Enterprise Analytics departments and other MGM Resorts departments, driving execution on data projects and processes using advanced analytics and quantitative methods to drive business performance. The position will be an internal expert on exploring data sources and creating analytical products that help embed predictive and prescriptive analytics into the business. By combining advanced analytics capabilities with programming skills, the Lead Data Scientist will help lead the team to drive innovative analytical solutions across MGM Resorts while building departmental standards and best practices. All duties are to be performed in accordance with departmental and MGM Resorts policies, practices and procedures.
- Develops the departmental modeling guidelines and formulates the creation of modeling best practices/standards; develops test and version control creation and documentation.
- Oversees experiments, tests hypothesis, performs data mining and builds models to solve highly complex business problems; applies advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on decision support systems.
- Coaches the team and personally create and presents audience appropriate documentation of findings and approach to fully catalog work product; communicate and review findings with business partners/stakeholders and non-technical audiences.
- Establishes an internal peer review process to validate assumptions and technical approach.
- Classifies existing models needing to be recalibrated or retrained Structures and executes processes including data collection, pre-processing and analysis; develops processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
- Utilizes predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, targeting, and other business outcomes; develops company A/B testing framework and test model quality; creates various machine learning-based models or processes. within the company such as recommendation engines or automated customer scoring systems.
- Liaison between internal and external departments; collaborates with stakeholders to validate and improve results and/or fail fast to higher value opportunities.
- Identifies structured/unstructured and streaming data to solve a business problem while determining appropriate relevancy; automates anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of performance.
- Develops and own analytical capabilities across the aligned functional area(s) and properties.
- Partners with Business Intelligence and Enterprise Data Management teams to operationalize and build appropriate change control and monitoring processes for analytical product and/or application programming interfaces.
- Facilitates learning and skills development opportunities across the EA team.
- Supervises Human Resources responsibilities for the specially assigned areas; create and maintain a work environment that promotes client service, teamwork, performance feedback, individual recognition, mutual respect, and employee satisfaction ensuring quality. hiring, training, and succession planning processes that encompasses the company's diversity commitment.
- Networks externally to seek innovation and stay current with the latest technology trends.
- Perform all other job-related duties as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, economics, engineering, operations research or other related technical field.
- At least 6 years of experience in similar advanced analytics role in a professional environment.
- Demonstrated experience in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting, predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and/or optimization algorithms.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to lead and mentor a team.
- Have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Able to effectively communicate in English, in both written and oral forms.
- Advanced degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, economics, engineering, operations research or other related technical field.
- Previous experience working in a similar integrated resort setting.