The Lead Data Modeler will be responsible for creating and maintaining conceptual, logical and physical data models for storing and easy distribution of data from Cloud based, Enterprise grade Big data environment for enabling Data Science, Data Analytics and Reporting function in Polaris. The focus of this role will be to enable engineering teams with the integration, modeling, and distribution of and external datasets that support business users. The lead modeler will be also responsible for guiding other data modeler/s in the team, be the main point of contact for stakeholder interaction for data modeling in Snowflake and Databricks environment on Azure Cloud, as well as view enablement for data consumption in the Snowflake environment
- Work with the business and Engineering team, comprising of Data Engineers, Data Scientists, Data Architects, Data Analysts, and information technologists to understand data requirements and design for Use Case and User Story enablement
- Perform data profiling/analysis activities that helps to establish, modify and maintain data model
- Create conceptual data model to identify key business entities and visualize their relationships
- Create detailed logical models identifying all the entities, attributes and their relationships along with the characteristics associated with each of those
- Convert logical models to physical models for the databases in use and provide DDLs to the implementation teams
- Communicate physical database designs and dba and explains features that may affect the physical data model
- Create guideline on creating data models and various standards, including naming standards relating to governed data
- Govern data model lifecycle using data modelling tool and process
- Create and deploy various types of complex views on top of physical data stores to drive data consumption and data analytics adoption by multiple business user groups
- Articulate data modelling principles to other data modelers and business users.
- Facilitate resolution of model conflicts created by competing business requirements.
- Create a taxonomy/data dictionary to communicate data requirements that are important to business stakeholders
- Test the DDLs and ensure the models are deployed to all environments and are consistent.
- Lead and participate in design workshops to facilitate an understanding of business data needs and how they are mapped to the data model.
- Work with Agile Pods, Business and System Analytics Stakeholders to guide and support data modeling efforts and standards
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field required
- 8+ years’ experience leveraging data modeling tools, preferably Erwin Data Modeler
- 8+ years’ experience building complex Data Models (Entity Relationship Diagrams, Logical Models, Physical Models) for Data Science, Data Analytics and Reporting enablement
- 8+ years’ experience writing high performing SQL, and complex queries
- 3 – 5 years of experience with Cloud based Big data environment.
- Experience with Snowflake and Databricks is preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS or ABILITIES
- Experience with reverse engineering models from existing database
- Experience building OLAP, ETL Data warehouse, and Relational Database Models (Analytical Data Models is a plus)
- Experience with Data architecture concepts (Master data management, metadata management) Proficiency in data lifecycle and data architecture concept
- Good understanding of Agile and SDLC methodologies Knowledge of industry-wide technology trends and leading practices