Do you wake up early, eager to see how many of your ETL cron jobs failed overnight? Of course you don’t! You put an end to all of those sleepless nights by leveraging new technologies to schedule workflow dependencies and set up alerting ages ago. You’ve been getting a full 8 hours of sleep ever since!
Updater’s Data Team is a brand-new function that comprises Data Engineering and Data Science/Analytics, working together closely to ensure we are a data-driven company. By building and maintaining the infrastructure that powers all of our Data Science, Product, Marketing, Sales, and Success analytical and operational functions, Data Engineering is poised to become one of the most highly leveraged teams at Updater!
What You’ll Do
As the first Data Engineer at Updater, you’ll lead the development of an innovative data environment by leveraging industry best practices and cutting-edge approaches to build a robust and scalable data platform. You’re excited to come on board and work with our Engineering & Tech Ops teams to understand our data model and construct a thoughtful approach to building a scalable data architecture that provides a foundation for teams across the company to self-serve their data needs.
You will oversee the development, documentation, access, and quality of our centralized data warehouse solution (all from scratch!), and will balance ready access to existing data features while incorporating new features in a timely manner. You’ll collaborate with engineering on ensuring data capture for new product initiatives, with our business partners across all major functions to anticipate data needs, and proactively develop data solutions to address the toughest business problems.
Our ideal candidate isn’t satisfied until a project is seen through to meaningful impact. If you love working with data and want to see your work impact the entire organization, we want to talk to you!
What You Have
You’re a senior engineer who has extensive experience architecting and leading data engineering and data warehousing initiatives. An ability and desire to interact and communicate effectively with bothtechnology and business team members is critical to the success of this position. We’re looking for someone with:
- Humility and a sense of humor
- Strong communication skills, deep levels of empathy, and a keen eye for innovation and pragmatism
- 4+ years experience designing, building, launching, and maintaining extremely efficient & reliable data pipelines & data models as part of a Data Warehouse solution
- Strong skills in a scriptinglanguage (Python preferred)
- Expert SQL skills
- Experience with modern BI tools (Looker, Domo, Tableau, etc)
- Ability to manage full project lifecycles
- Experienceworking closely with Engineering, Product, and Analytics/Data Science teams
- Experience with modern ETL tools (Stitch, Fivetran, Alooma, etc)
- Experience with modern DWH environments (AWS Redshift and S3, Snowflake, etc)
- Experience with git, GitHub, and the pull request workflow
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with workflow management tools (Airflow, Luigi, etc)
- Experience managing or mentoring teams of engineers
- Experience with streaming data services (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
A month at Updater might include:
- Rotating office DJ duties
- Catered Monday breakfasts, Friday lunches, and rip-roaring happy hours
- Awesome off-site activities, like zombie laser tag and Escape the Room (just to name a few!)
- Cross-functional collaboration with the entire team
- Group outings to NYC Meetup events
Compensation & Benefits:
We're looking for top-tier talent, and we offer compensation packages that include competitive base salary & stock options. Our comprehensive benefits programs include health care, dental, transportation subsidies, and Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO).