- Manages workflow and priorities in conjunction with or in the absence of the Credit Manager. Determines and assigns work assignments to team of Credit Officers and Credit Analysts based on experience, availability, and portfolio complexity and size.
- Provides technical guidance to and reviews the work of less experienced Credit Officers and Credit Analysts. Guides and assists the Credit Officers and Credit Analysts in research, credit structuring, financial analysis, etc. for complex accounts.
- Responds to questions or inquiries from internal and external clients concerning credit policies, procedures, structuring, etc. before it is elevated, if necessary, to the Credit Manager.
- Monitors performance, gives on-going performance feedback and participates in conducting effective performance appraisals. ~Trains, coaches, counsels and provides general direction and guidance to staff.
- Develops and motivates team members; identifies staff development needs and provides educational/training opportunities.
- Assists the Credit Manager in departmental reporting of past dues, portfolio reviews, etc.
- Evaluates and examines credit requests in order to assess credit worthiness including loan quality, credit risk classification, loan structure, collateral analysis, pricing and adherence to Bank policies. Approves or declines credit requests within assigned authority (up to $5 million). Analyzes and recommends approval/declination of credit requests which exceed assigned authority.
- Attends client meetings at Relationship Manager, CBS Manager or Credit Manager's request to facilitate delivery of the credit product and/or or assist in problem resolution.
- Provides balanced and appropriate credit guidance to Relationship and CBS Manager and collaborates in determining appropriate credit strategy.
- Provides input to the Relationship Manager and CBS Manager when loan pricing does not appear to reflect inherent risk in subject transaction. Pricing may be either too high or to low.
- Manages the financial analysis and preparation of the CRR. This includes ensuring that the CRR contains a well supported recommendation or decision; the risk rating is correct and supported; and the data and analytics used to support the decision are accurate and calculated correctly.
- Collaborates with team members by providing credit alternatives and creative ways to structure credits ensuring that transactions are within profitability and portfolio risk standards. Authors credit approval memorandum.
- Restructures loans and/or lines of credit as required. Assumes accountability for minimizing Bank losses.
- Manages team delinquencies both matured loans and past due monitoring items.
- Have primary role in early problem loan identification and the timely and accurate changes in loan grades. Monitors and takes initiative to respond to past dues based on information provided by the Relationship Manager.
- Performs quarterly financial reviews of client's financial condition including monitoring covenants and conditions. Communicates and discusses findings with the Relationship Manager and CBS Manager, where necessary.
- Works with Credit Administration to facilitate an accurate and timely credit decision and optimal credit strategy.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on all Bank lending policies and regulations. Confers with the Manager and appropriate Bank personnel regarding new/existing lending requirements and regulations.
- Acts in accordance with Bank' credit culture and strategies
- Responsible and accountable for appropriate quality controls related to the financial products we provide, the services we deliver, the processes we employ, and the incentives with which we reward our colleagues.
- Ensure that all City National products, financial solutions and services are provided ethically and with integrity in a manner that is consistent with the client-first culture and values embodied in City National's PRIDE statement
- *Minimum 7 years experience in underwriting medium to large sized and moderately-complex commercial credit required.
- *Minimum 7 years of experience in a banking or financial services environment required.
- *Bachelor's degree and/or Credit training is required.
Skills and Knowledge
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Highly knowledgeable in commercial credit policies and procedures.
- Strong credit analysis and accounting skills with the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively in both verbal/written forms.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to assume responsibility and accountability for decision making.
- Ability to work well independently and in teams and interact effectively with all levels of Bank personnel and outside contacts
Job ID CB-7921