Lead Automation Engineer
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) seeks experienced and creative individuals for our Lead Integration and Automation Engineer position. If you have demonstrated successful experience in system integration design, SCADA development, communication system design, HMI design, and/or controls system development, we invite you to consider joining our technical team.
SEL’s corporate office is located in Eastern Washington where you'll enjoy an unmatched quality of life. Enjoy the smaller town life: country space, freedom from traffic, easy access to recreational activities in nearby mountains, rivers, and forests, as well as great schools and universities.
Lead Automation Engineer
- Develop and maintain advanced technical expertise in power system integration and automation for utility and industry as well as advanced understanding of SEL equipment and solutions.
- Define and implement system validation test processes for SEL products to ensure flawless system integration.
- Develop and analyze product specifications and functional tests.
- Diagnose customer reported problems with integration and communication features and document issues for developers.
- Provide technical and market analysis to evaluate proposed products or enhancements.
- Perform analysis and tests on competing integration and automation products.
- Mentor Engineers and Technicians.
- Continuously identify, measure, and improve R&D processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. degree in ElectricalEngineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or applicable experience
- Knowledge of setup and configuration with a broad range of network devices and interfaces
- Demonstrated experience with serial, Ethernet, and multiple communication protocols
- Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Background check results satisfactory to SEL
- Negative drug test result(s)
- 6+ years of experience at an electric utility, industrial plant, or engineering firm
- 6+ years of experience in electric power SCADA or EMS practices
- Industrial controls and PLCs
- 3-phase and electric power systems
- Electric utility telecommunications
- UCA 2.0 or DNP 3.0 protocol application
- Familiarity with and application of any of the following protocols: IEC 61850, IEC 60870-103, -101, -104
- Electric utility protection practices
- Working knowledge of SEL products and protocols