Lead Applications Developer
We're the obstacle overcomers, the problem get-arounders. From figuring it out to getting it done… our innovative culture demands "yes and how!" We are UPS. We are the United Problem Solvers.
About Applications Development at UPS Technology:
Our Application Development teams use their expertise in programming languages and software design to develop next-generation technology. They are responsible for developing the applications which track and move up to 38 million packages in a single day (4.7 billion annually). This team works closely with all of our customers to build innovative technologies that are customized to drive our business and provide the ultimate customer experience. As a member of the applications development family, you will help UPS grow and provide valuable services across the globe.
About this role:
The Lead Applications Developer provides leadership in full systems life cycle management (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.) to ensure delivery is on time and within budget. He/She directs component and data architecture design, technology planning, and testing for Applications Development (AD) initiatives to meet business requirements and ensure compliance. This position develops and leads AD project activities and integrations. He/She guides teams to ensure effective communication and achievement of objectives. This position researches and supports the integration of emerging technologies. He/She provides knowledge and support for applications' development, integration, and maintenance. This position will lead junior team members with project related activities and tasks. This position guides and influences department and project teams. He/She facilitates collaboration with stakeholders.
The Lead Applications Developer, with proven experience developing JEE applications, will be a key contributor to a development team using Agile methodologies as appropriate. He/She must be a quick learner that can apply new technologies or learn existing ones as required.
Leads I.S. Projects:
- Delegates work assignments to complete the deliverables for small projects or components of larger projects to meet project plan requirements
- Monitors team member activities to ensure tasks are completed within established deadlines and to rectify issues and roadblocks
- Identifies and assesses issues to communicate potential risks and impacts
- Analyzes project requirements and customers' expectations to identify and implement required tasks
- Prepares and conducts project progress and quality reviews to provide project updates
- Monitors costs, timelines, and resources to address plan deviations
- Provides technological guidance to project teams to ensure the quality of project deliverables
- Assists junior staff to facilitate skills development
- Leads solution definition and configuration for new website implementations.
Leads System Analysis and Design:
- Translates business and functional requirements into technical design to meet stated business needs
- Develops and designs internal component and adjacent system interfaces to ensure inter-operability
- Participates in technical architecture definitions to align solutions with business needs
- Writes specifications using business requirements and logical and physical designs to enable coding
- Identifies and participates in prototyping to assess value-to-need strategy and to clarify business needs.
Leads Design and Development of Applications:
- Identifies new areas for process improvements to enhance performance results
- Delivers application solutions to meet business and non-functional requirements
- Analyzes, designs, codes, tests, corrects, and documents large and complex programs to ensure optimal performance and compliance
- Leads team on analysis, design, and coding activities to ensure successful component and project delivery
- Leads review of project deliverables to ensure quality and standard process adherence
- Provides technical guidance to development teams to ensure quality deliverables
- Verifies and delivers software to ensure compliance with standards.
Develops and Ensures Creation of Application Documentation:
- Determines documentation needs to deliver applications
- Organizes the production and distribution of documentation to facilitate communications
- Responsible for system documentation to ensure accuracy and consistency when changes are made
- Leads technical documentation in compliance with UPS Software Development Lifecycle to communicate and update project teams and stakeholders.
Defines and Produces Integration Builds:
- Leads build processes for target environments to create software
- Verifies integration test specifications to ensure proper testing
- Creates integration plans to support systems interface testing
- Evaluates and implements vendor products to ensure successful integration with existing applications
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces to ensure inter-operability
- Reviews work progress to ensure timeliness and integrity of builds.
Monitors Emerging Technology Trends:
- Monitors the industry to gain knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies
- Identifies new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products to maintain industry competitiveness
- Maintains awareness of emerging technology to ensure applicability for the assigned application area
- Influences and promotes the adoption of new technologies to improve capabilities and supportability
Leads Maintenance and Support:
- Drives problem resolution to identify, recommend, and implement process improvements
- Leads junior team members' support activities to provide implementation and process improvements
- Monitors and records application defects to ensure systems integrity
- Coordinates efforts across interfacing systems and service providers to resolve system issues
- Drives business continuity and disaster recovery design and planning activities to establish agreed upon requirements
- Designs, creates, develops, customizes, and maintains training content and resources to deliver agreed upon outcomes
- Delivers training to a variety of audiences to increase knowledge sharing
Leads Other Team Members:
- Provides input to people processes (e.g., Quality Performance Review [QPR], Career Development, Training, Staffing, etc.) to provide detailed performance level information to managers
- Contributes to performance evaluations, including performance improvement plans, to encourage continuous performance improvement
- Holds team members responsible for meeting established performance levels to achieve individual and group goals
- Coaches others and provides on-going feedback and support to improve performance
- 8+ years of overall development experience
- 5+ years of development experience with JEE servlets, JSP, Web App Servers (Tomcat/JBOSS/WebLogic)
- 5+ years of experience with Content Management System and Marketing Technologies
- Must have experience developing on Linux and Windows platforms
- Experience with Marketing Technologies
- Object Oriented Analysis & Design
- Experience with XML
- Proven troubleshooting skills
- J2EE/Java Technologies - Advanced
- Web Development Technologies - Advanced
- UNIX Fundamentals - Advanced
- Agile Development methodology - Advanced
- Project Management - Advanced
- Agile and Scrum Concepts - Advanced
- Requirements Analysis - Advanced
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.