Magic Leap is seeking an acoustics and vibrations engineer to join our team developing the next generation of wearable spatial computing devices. The role involves optimizing the performance of a packaged active cooling solution by integrating mechanical, acoustical, and psychoacoustical principles to balance the needs of our Industrial Design, Mechanical, Audio, Wearability, and User Experience teams.
- Analyze mechanical design of active cooling system, provide feedback to improve user perception of noise
- Guide user tests for actionable feedback to drive mechanical design changes, using psychoacoustic metrics where applicable
- Design and run measurements to isolate noise contributors using lasers, microphones, and similar test tools
- Work with cooling solution vendors to reduce objectionable noise while meeting cooling targets
- Establish simulation and test pipeline from mechanical design to perceived noise quality while minimizing user testing.
- Minimum 5 years experience in product noise design and optimization, preferably with packaged consumer electronic cooling solutions
- Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) psychoacoustic metric experience (Loudness, Roughness, Sharpness, Fluctuation Strength, etc.)
- CAD design experience (Solidworks, Creo, etc.)
- Vibration, acoustic, and/or fluid simulation experience through BE, FE, CFD and SEA (using Comsol, Ansys, VA One, LMS, etc.)
- Familiarity with acoustic measurement.
- Experience with hardware and software, wired and wireless, digital audio interfaces and related functions in mobile and/or wearable consumer devices
- Experience with team and project coordination, including Agile methodology, task scheduling, requirement and milestone tracking
- Experience with authoring, editing and presenting technical documents
- Experience with technical publication and patent application/prosecution.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (Mechanical, Physics, Acoustics) or equivalent experience required. MSc/MA or PhD preferred.