SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH SOFTWARE AUTOMATION ENGINEER
As a software automation engineer in the Launch and Recovery department, you will be part of a small and agile team that allows you the opportunity to architect, engineer and deploy multifaceted systems that automate and test all aspects of SpaceX's operation, from manufacturing, to launch and landing, to long-duration space flight. These tools include automated data reviews that use state-of-the-art machine-learning; in-house simulator for thermal, fluid and mechanical modeling and automated testing; full-stack data visualization products; and robotics developments for post-landing rocket securing.
We are looking for people who excel at solving complex problems, maintain a high sense of urgency in their work, and contribute as a team player to build new capabilities and innovate as we lead the world in launch and reusability.
- Develop interdisciplinary software solutions to optimize engineering time and eliminate recurring tasks
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems that allow vehicles to be flown quickly, reliably, and robustly
- Full ownership of application life cycles, including need-finding and continuous improvement by working closely with engineering teams at our Florida, California, Texas, and Washington sites
- Deliver production-quality code against aggressive timelines
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, physics, computer science, or mathematics discipline
- 2+ years of software programming experience using Python, C++, or a similar language via professional work experience, project/research-based student experience, or a combination of both
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, and unit testing
- Extensive knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems
- Experience with Agile software development techniques, test-driven development and continuous integration
- Experience developing applied machine learning applications end-to-end outside of classroom settings
- Experience designing and utilizing relational database (SQL)
- Experience with micro services, container-based deployment workflows and web application frameworks (Angular/React)
- Able to independently prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment with ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment, including frequent interactions with technicians, other engineers, and managers
- Background in physics, mechanical engineering and thermal fluid dynamics
- Background in linear algebra, dynamical systems and control theory
- Familiarity with vehicle test and flight operation processes
- Familiarity with common aerospace instrumentation (e.g. pressure transducers/RTDs)
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and ability to succinctly present recommendations to stakeholders, the customer, and management
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at