GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
A highly technical position responsible for supporting new business by directing, coordinating, and assisting in the planning, organization, and integration of all plant based activities for new product launches in accordance with Summit Polymers’ standards and TS16949 procedures. Has a leadership role in cross-functional teams to facilitate flawless launches of new programs. Supervises all activity related to new product launches and engineering changes while ensuring compliance to Summit Polymers’ and customer standards.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Key leader in Summit Polymers product development process in conjunction with Chief Engineers, Program Managers, General Managers, Quality Managers, and other Summit Polymers personnel.
- Coordinates Summit Polymers manufacturing plant team member participation throughout product development cycle from customer award through program launch.
- Directs activities of assigned launch team members as they apply to each ‘new business’ project as well as all normal day-to-day supervisory duties.
- Initiates and oversees the Plant PDT and Open Issues Meetings
- Directs timeline and work plan compliance to meet targets for Safety, Quality, Cost and Delivery.
- Directs development of Manufacturing plans, PFMEA’s, Quality Control Plans, and all required quality documents and data sets.
- Participates as key leader in product design development and review process to assure the manufacturability of the design. Ensures team uses concurrent engineering to develop product designs that are optimized for robust mold design, process and part removal; optimized for paint tooling and process; optimized for assembly and secondary processes and equipment; robust locating scheme and gauges; capable for robust product packaging; optimized for ergonomics/safety, etc.
- Participates in mold design reviews to assure that tools will be robust in design and fit the established manufacturing design.
- Directs development of paint tooling and processes to assure robust equipment, ergonomics and product quality.
- Directs development of assembly processes and secondary equipment to assure robust equipment, ergonomics, and product quality.
- Participates in gauge development and dimensional validation planning.
- Directs customer, internal, and supplier product packaging development.
- Directs plant process development for molding, painting, assembly and other processes required by manufacturing.
- Assures timely delivery of complete PPAP packages for signature to Plant Quality Manager.
- Tracks and ensures timely implementation of all engineering changes.
- Responsible to coordinate all plant technical resources to assure successful new program launch.
- Develop and maintain launch action plans, open issues, standardized work development with frequent follow up with responsible persons and “go and see” approach to achieve goals
- Coordinates and participates in training of production personnel, departmental managers, supervisors, technicians.
- Communication with regard to safety, quality, productivity, action plans/updates, standardized work plan changes, to all production personnel on all shifts and to maintain a “launch board” with quality bulletins, updates, etc.
- Participates in planning and the management of necessary bank builds and engineering changes, materials issues, as well as working with external tool shops as needed to achieve successful results.
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product, process and quality system, tracking each to closure
- Manage “safe launch containment activity”, working with quality engineering to capture all non-conforming product and mislabeling.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience, 5 to 10 years experience in injection molding processes, finishing processes, tooling, manufacturing and injection mold repair techniques, PPAP and TS16949 procedures. 5years experience in product design and customer management. Possess the ability to gather and analyze information and make decisions from a limited number of choices.