The Electrical Signals and Processing (ES&P) Group in the Energy Sensing and Analytics (ESA) Section of the Electrification and Energy Infrastructure Division (EEID) of ORNL has a successful history supporting projects in the nuclear nonproliferation and isotope enrichment areas. Furthermore, the ES&P group has made significant progress in advancing the adoption of robust process systems for critical electro-mechanical infrastructure at ORNL over the past several years and expects to continue advancing this technology. Opportunities in these areas are expected to grow over the next few years, requiring additional qualified staff to successfully perform these challenging and nationally important projects.
The ES&P group is seeking applicants with experience in LabVIEW software development to make a significant contribution to projects involving nuclear nonproliferation, isotope enrichment, and instrumentation of mission-critical systems. You will work in a collaborative team environment to support DOE’s missions.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The applicant will need to work as part of a research, design, test, and evaluation team, and will work on data acquisition systems, software development, computer networks, and system design using National Instruments (NI) LabVIEW programming language and equipment.
The successful candidate will work well in a team environment, both as a contributing member and a leader as necessary. Team members are expected to influence the direction of the project by applying their creativity and ability to develop innovative solutions in a multi-organization environment. The successful candidate must also be able to work with minimal supervision and will be expected to provide input and influence project direction through interaction with project team leadership. It will require the ability to learn new software, technologies, and systems without formal training. This position requires the flexibility to adapt to a wide variety of projects to meet the priorities of sponsoring agencies. This position will require report writing and presentation skills, participation in proposal writing, and research paper writing for refereed journals.
In this role you will:
- Design, develop, and maintain software products
- Perform software verification and validation
- Perform research and development to design new test equipment and technology
- Compile data and write reports for completed projects
- Provide operational support for test equipment including some off-hours and weekend work as required to support 24/7 operational testing efforts
- Clearly communicate, both verbally and in writing, to sponsoring agencies, management, other engineers and researchers, technicians, and craftsmen
- Work in accordance with ORNL, EEID, ESA Section, and ES&P Group procedures and programs including Environment, Safety, Health, and Quality (EHS&Q)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline and at least 4 years of experience in software development and testing, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years of experience of systems engineering & testing including LabVIEW code development
- At least one year of on the job experience with NI LabVIEW software development
- Experience with programming NI PXI and/or cRIO systems
- Familiarity with the NI suite of drivers (DAQmx, SCOPE, FPGA, Serial, etc.)
- Experience with computer networks and network traffic
- Experience with analog to digital conversion requirements such as analog signal path, anti-alias filtering, and system noise at the bit level.
- Knowledge of techniques to shield or discriminate from environmental noise
- Experience with digital signal processing techniques & embedded systems
- Experience with user interface design
- Strong proficiency in at least one text-based programming language such as C++, Python, or Java
- Competent, professional level of knowledge of principles, theories, concepts and application techniques for process automation and controls systems
- The ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance is required; a candidate with an active Q clearance
Experience in the following areas will better qualify a candidate for this position:
- Master of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline and at least 2 years of experience in software development and testing, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with data analysis methods
- Experience with MATLAB programming
- Experience with object-oriented programing
- Certified NI LabVIEW Developer/Architect or equivalent experience
- Experience with electronic system design and development
- Experience with analog design
- Experience with embedded system design and programming
- Experience with equipment layout and packaging
- Experience with an industry standard SCADA systems
- A working knowledge of PLC architectures, VFDs, motor controllers, and PLC programming skills
- Active DOE Q clearance